Almost expired yeast - big starter or stepped up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StatsMcG

Reaction score
I plan to brew this weekend, and just today I picked up a vial of WLP320 with a use by date of 5/11 (three days from now).

According to BeerSmith, the viability of this yeast is only 40%. I'm making a fruit beer, 6G batch, OG=1.052.

Mr Malty says that for this, even using a stir plate, I need 3 vials and a 2.71L starter (dial slid over to the right).

BeerSmith says I need 288.6 billion cells, but the biggest starter I can use with this vial will be 1.7L, for which I'll only get 242.7 billion cells. (Larger starters, according to BS, do not produce anything extra for this vial for this batch).

I guess I'm a little confused by what I'm seeing. I understand with yeast this old, there's a limit to how big a starter they can be effective in. If I'd go with the BS recommendations and make a 1.75 or even 2L starter on a stir plate, would I be safe?

Thanks!
Stats McG

Use YeastCalc.com to figure out out a starter step-up plan. It's much better IMO than mrmalty, especially when you need to plan multiple steps.

I wouldn't go that crazy on a yeast starter for a gravity of 1.052. You should be fine with a smaller starter. A starter is just going to give you peace of mind that your yeast are healthy and to give you plenty of yeast to make a high gravity brew. I had yeast that were 2 weeks away from expiration, no yeast starter, and had no problems with fermentation and getting my final gravity to where I needed it.

According to yeastcalc, which I use and believe in, you will need to so a step up to get you yeast to the proper count. It shows that you only have about 14% viability. 1.052 , by their count, needs 191 billion cells.
You can do a 1 liter and then a 2 liter and that will get you up to 221 billion cells.

Thanks for the tips on YeastCalc. I'd never used it before, but it seems like a great tool. The yeast I've gotten before has always been much fresher, so age was never a concern.

aubiecat, that 14% viability is exactly why I was concerned about making a bigger starter for this one, or at least stepping it up. I've always made starters before, but never done a step up. I guess now's as good a time as any!

I think I may go with a 1L and then a 1.5L...that should get me close to my target pitching rates.

Thanks for the tips and speedy advice!

Mmmm...it's only Tuesday and I'm thinking about brewing while at work. Somehow, I think I smell wort in the office. Is that possible? Or have I just become pleasantly demented?

Back