My brew-stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure why you are worried about having threads in the MLT. I don't worry about sanitation on the hot side of the brewery. It is all getting boiled man.

I think it's mostly an aesthetics thing. Thanks for the picture and description of the setup. I do like your idea of a cam lock to get the hose out of the way for cleaning.

Since I am planning to tig weld everything, here is what I am thinking. Weld a half coupler to the exterior of the keg, maybe a full coupler, or possibly tig weld 2 male cam locks together such that one is on the interior and one protrudes the the exterior. A female cam lock on the interior with a 90 deg fitting and hose.

Another question... Why do folks use a valve on the inlet of the MLT when there is usually a valve on the pump outlet to control flow??

Yeah, if you are planning on tig welding that would be an interesting setup.
I have a valve to eliminate back flow/siphon. I've actually had some wort reverse direction at a time. It's just piece of mind that was worth 10 bucks for the SS valve.

Some pictures of my additions...

Large Hop Strainer from StainlessBrewing.com
LG%20HOP%20STRAINER.jpg

My supply hose with CamLock fittings makes it VERY handy to connect to vessels for filling or chiller or whatever...
PreChiller%20%28Copy%29.jpg

Here is my next addition... I need to finish getting it tweaked to use in process, but it's an inline oxygenation system that will simply attach to my output on the CFC and have the capability of oxygenating while giving chilled wort temp feedback.
INLINE%20O2-TEMP.jpg

This is my chilled wort temp setup as it is right now...
CHILLED%20WORT%20OUTPUT.jpg

I just read this thread while at work despite its age. I wanted to know how your CO2 build did for you. I have a E-HERMS system and ferment in a SS conical. I want to be able to add C02 to the wort prior to it going into the fermentor.

I just read this thread while at work despite its age. I wanted to know how your CO2 build did for you. I have a E-HERMS system and ferment in a SS conical. I want to be able to add C02 to the wort prior to it going into the fermentor.

My Co2 pressure racking system worked extremely well. However, I no longer use the blue malt drums. They are simply too difficult to clean/sanitize.
The concept is simple for the pressure racking system and will work on any vessel. I don't condone using any pressure on glass carboys though.

So, why do you want to expose the fresh wort to Co2? That's not healthy to the wort/yeast at that point in a beer's cycle. You should be putting Oxygen into and on beer if anything.

I'm trying to add an oxygenation system to aerate the wort coming out of the counter flow chiller. SS technologies recommends pumping the wort into the chronical with the lid and airlock secured.

If the stainless conical is closed as the wort is being added then oxygenating the wort prior to pitching the east would be minimal. I use to oxygenat by shaking the carboy but now use a stainless conical that I can't shake

Old thread but just wanted to hear how the rig was going Huaco. I am getting my keggles welded this next week and I wanted to know how you would position all your fittings and such for each vessel now that you have used this setup extensively. I am going to cut the bottom of the keg so I can do bottom draining like you using the existing sanke ferrule. I have been torn with cutting the whole bottom off or just the domed section like most have done (What's your take on that?). Also, where would you recommend fitting placement for each vessel? I am doing the same e-herms setup you have with the exception that I am planning on having 2 elements each for HLT and the BK. You mentioned sometime back about changing placement so you could run smaller batches, I would like that flexibility are well. Any tips or other suggestions will be appreciated.

I am actually in the process of changing over to 15 gallon kettles. If I were to do it all again with Keggles, I'd probably do it all the same again (except for a few little things). The bottom drain is really nice.
As far as placement, That all depends on your HERMS coil. You should coil the coil first or purchase it... The other port locations are pretty much standard. One thing to remember is to not cut the holes too large. Go buy some pot lids from WalMart and make sure you cut them to fit. I wish I had done that. Also, consider adding a return/whirlpool port to the boil kettle.

Thanks Huaco. That was the direction I was heading. Mind if I ask why you decided to change over to kettles?

Thanks Huaco. That was the direction I was heading. Mind if I ask why you decided to change over to kettles?

I got a smokin' deal on them... Plus, I'm going to sell my brewery to my buddy (it's set up in his shop now anyway) and I will build another. I would be needing the kettles then anyway. Just made sense.

I love the bottom draining mash tun though. Going to miss it.

Back