Foam blew off my airlock, tried Fermcap but foam keeps ent airlock. What's the danger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetmac

Reaction score
Foam blew the airlock and plug out of my better bottle. I don't know how long it had been open. I'm in a situation where I can't go get a blow off tube. So I put several drops of foam control in there and refilled and replaced the airlock but foam has entered the airlock 3 times since. Is there a danger of infection or off flavors because of the lack of pressure? What can I expect to be screwed up, if anything? I'm sure anything is possible but it seems if foam is coming out nothing bad can get it until it stops.

I had the same thing happen a few weeks ago. You need a blowoff tube. I think its 3/8. You can google it. Then out that tube in some water with star San and you should be good to go.

I had the same thing happen a few weeks ago. You need a blowoff tube. I think its 3/8. You can google it. Then out that tube in some water with star San and you should be good to go.

I know I need a blow off tube. I can't get one and it's into fermentation 4 days anyway. I was just wondering what I can expect as far as beer being screwed up.

I had the same thing happen in my FC. Really not sure how long it sat open but the beer looked fine and smells good. Will be bottling next week so I will post an update.

I'm guessing you're pushing out enough CO2 to keep the bad stuff from getting in.

I have had that happen and as long as you keep cleaning and replacing ur beer will be fine.

Back