low FG witbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_Edge

Reaction score
brewed this recipe (extract):

http://byo.com/recipe/1445.html

My FG ended up being very low - 1.005, wheras the projected FG was 1.012. As a result, the beer (which I just racked to the secondary for a few days while I get suggestions) is very dry. Here are my thought for making this beer less dry/more refreshing -

I thought that I might pasteurize some orange zest - maybe from 2 oranges and add some more coriander, I would put that and the corn sugar in just before bottling. has anyone done this before?

and I guess having high attenuation is usually NOT a problem, but since the goal of this beer was to be a sweet, refreshing summer beer for some of my female friends, I don't think that it met with its expactations quite yet.

Before you do anything else, add ONE ounce of lactose, mix well and taste. Most people perceive lactose as 2-3 times as sweet as maltose. If it's in a carboy, I'd dissolve the lactose in 1/4 cup of boiled water before adding.

I just made a Belgian Wit and I used the zest from several different types of citrus. I think it was 2 lemon, 3 navel orange, 3 valencia orange and a grapefruit. I don't know how it'll be yet but it smelled wonderful.

Made a fruit salad afterward :)

david_42 said:
Before you do anything else, add ONE ounce of lactose, mix well and taste. Most people perceive lactose as 2-3 times as sweet as maltose. If it's in a carboy, I'd dissolve the lactose in 1/4 cup of boiled water before adding.

hmm... I do have the lactic acid (not yet put in) do people perceive it as sweet our sour? does anyone know if it mixes to create a sweet taste?

egerrish said:
hmm... I do have the lactic acid (not yet put in) do people perceive it as sweet our sour? does anyone know if it mixes to create a sweet taste?

I haven't brewed with it myself, but I've drank a couple Duck Rabbit Milk Stouts (brewed with lactose) over the last few days and it definitely imparts a sweetness to it that other stouts don't have. Take this for what it's worth.

Irishcrazy2005 said:
I haven't brewed with it myself, but I've drank a couple Duck Rabbit Milk Stouts (brewed with lactose) over the last few days and it definitely imparts a sweetness to it that other stouts don't have. Take this for what it's worth.

Great. well I'll try that and a bit of zest. Since the style of beer is supposed to be served with an orange peel anyway, I think it will end up tasty.

Back