pasturizing removes carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MontyKi

Reaction score
I'm not clear how to produce a batch with ~9% ABV while retaining a moderate level of carbonation and some sweetness, a.k.a. semi-dry.

I'm considering bottling a batch that is still bubbling afte 2 weeks at ~61 F ambient basement temperature. The temperature of the carboy is elevted, I expect this os due to biochemical heat production thanks to the little yeasties.

To retain some sweetness without back-sweetening and to expedite this batch since the SG reflects sufficient gain of alcohol, I'm considering halting the yeast's progress by pasteurizing.

To pasteurize, I would heat capped[/] bottles to 66 C, again, with cap on... But what I need to know is will this tactic of pasteurizing after capping pop the cap or break the bottle?

I want the end product to be fizzy, moderately fizzy, not very fizzy and not still.

Thanks,

Monty

you need to read the sticky at the top of this forum it takes you through the dos and don't of pasteurizing. If you read through all the pages, the people who had bombs deviated from the prescribed directions.

If you take a few hours and read the entire thread, every single breakage was the result of a mistake:

1. over carbonation
2. wrong bottles used
3. defect in the bottle prior to bottling
4. hot bottles coming in contact with something cold
5. the directions weren't followed as described using a thermometer to insure the proper temp before and after the 10 minute soak time.

About the only variation I have seen to the original post that is a good one is to preheat the bottles with hot tap water. this reduces the temperature change in the glass AND preheats the liquid in side which allows you to do more bottles at once and reduces the temp drop in the 10 minutes. I did that on my last batch, I pre soaked 9 bottle in hot tap water, about 130º then when I put the bottles in my 190º water bath after 10 minutes the temp had only dropped to 175º

Back