Split Batch SMaSH expirement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmedved

Reaction score
I've been brewing for a little over a year now. Mostly brewing other people's recipes. My goal for the next year is to start formulating my own recipes. Part of doing this will be learning how each aspect of the beer effects the final product. So I'm thinking I want to do a SMaSH split batch experiment. The idea would be to do 10 gallons, split into two boils, using two different hops. Then from there split each again using two different yeasts. I would like to do this for both an American and an English Ale.

Any recommendations/thoughts?

Maybe try one of the English wet yeasts vs. us05 dry. You could do both IPAs if you like the style to really see the difference in hops. Centennial and EKG come to mind.

I would, if it were me, do a series of dry yeast split batches. I am formulating a plan to do a big 12 gallon (or thereabouts as I have a keggle), batch of beer to split into three plastic pails. I have windsor, munich, and T-58 on hand, now just have to bone up and get to it....I might have to break down and get some dried malt extract to hit my mark...

how about cascade with 001 (or similar) and 051 for american and EKG with 002 (005 if not kegging) and 1318 for english? what malt are you thinking?

I was planning on Marris Otter for the English. Not sure about American. What do people typically use for something like that? Maybe I should just skip the smash idea for American and add a little crystal malt?

I probably should have been more clear in my original post. I want to do this two separate times. So, one batch that would use two different American hops and two different American yeasts. And one batch that uses two different English hops and two different English yeasts.

Back