Simcoe Hop Schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannPM

Reaction score
I'm a complete noob when it comes to designing good American-style beers. I love Simcoe but I'm not a huge hop head.

Will this be enough to get a good dank resiny piney hop flavor in a 100% Pilsner ale (1.057 OG for 5.5 gallons)?

Hop Bill
----------------
0.50 oz Simcoe Pellet @ 90 Minutes (Boil)
0.50 oz Simcoe Pellet @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
1.00 oz Simcoe Pellet @ 10 Days (Dry Hop)

My bad, 1.057 OG for 5.5 gallons, guess I shouldn't assume everyone knows that eh? :)

Why the move from 90 to 60? I'm curious.

I can't comment on the pilsner grain bill. I'd use magnum (or similar) at 60 min. and do simcoe at 15 and 5 min. No sense in boiling off all that good aroma for bittering alone.

Pickles, the Cohumulone of Magnums are almost double that of the Simcoe. I don't want a harsh bitterness, I want the bitterness to be as smooth as possible.

A lot of my IPAs just follow a Two Hearted clone recipe regardless of the hop variety:
.75 oz at 60
1 oz at 20
2 oz at 5
1 oz DH, 5-7 day.

Oops - I shouldn't say "regardless of variety." I mean I do that for hops that are close in AA% to Centennial.

Why the move from 90 to 60? I'm curious.
You only pick up a theoretical point or so of IBU's by boiling for the extra half-hour and I perceive it as a harsher bitterness. And I prefer to wait until after the hot break before adding hops.

Will this be enough to get a good dank resiny piney hop flavor in a 100% Pilsner ale?
Don't forget that with Simcoe you'll get equal part of citrus along with that resiny piney character.

I use magnum alot for general bittering ad don't consider it harsh, but of you're concerned about it use a first wort hop addition instead of the 60 min. When I think piney , resiny; I think of chinook not necessarily simcoe.

Thanks guys! What got me into it was that piney flavor from Tank 7 from Boulevard. That is when I realized....Simcoe

Not being "a big hop head", do you mean you don't want to taste or smell too much hop, or you don't want too much bittering?

If it's the latter, you might try hop bursting, where you just add hops from 20 min on. So, on a recipe with OG of 1.057, and Simcoe at 13%, .5 ounce added at 20, 15, 10, 5, and 0 add up to an IBU of 33.9. This should have good flavor and aroma without being over the top, plus hop bursting gives a smooth bitterness, not harsh. However, I've never tried this on a Pils SMASH. Maybe leave out the 0 and 10, and that would give IBUs of about 26.5, and then leaving out the 15 would drop it to 16.4. But since your 90 and 15 min additions add up to about 31.9 IBUs, I'd at least leave in the 15 to get you up there. Really depends what you want. If you don't want to do it on this one, I strongly suggest trying it on a future brew, you might just love it.

Back