Maris otter profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcdowd

Reaction score
I know Yooper will jump all over over this one but how is MO different from normal 2 row? I'm talking in terms of taste and profile. Do you get more body out of it? How is the taste different from two row? What are the unique qualities?

It's more of a bready flavor and aroma whereas 2-row is very plain. It will actually add the bready notes to the beer whereas 2-row will not really contribute anything flavor wise.

Interesting, what's the color of otter? Could I substitute all my 2 row for MO? Our would half and half work better. For instance, I might try 10 lbs of 2 row and 1.5 lbs crystal 20 for an IPA. If I tried 6 lbs 2 row and 6 lbs MO, how different would it be?

I think you have to taste it to really understand the difference (this is one of the things I love about my local HBS). Maris Otter definitely has a very distinct fresh baked bread quality to it. There's another 2-row that I've tasted that has more of a "cracker" quality to it (like a water cracker). I think it's important for homebrewers to taste the different malts before brewing with them, to get an idea of their character. When brewing something like a Belgian pale or tripel, where you are really looking for the yeast character to shine, you choose less "obvious" malts, etc.

Mermaid said:
I think you have to taste it to really understand the difference (this is one of the things I love about my local HBS). Maris Otter definitely has a very distinct fresh baked bread quality to it. There's another 2-row that I've tasted that has more of a "cracker" quality to it (like a water cracker). I think it's important for homebrewers to taste the different malts before brewing with them, to get an idea of their character. When brewing something like a Belgian pale or tripel, where you are really looking for the yeast character to shine, you choose less "obvious" malts, etc.

I agree. I would love to go taste the grains. I may have to make a trip to my local shop and see if they have any.

It would be a different beer,probably better if you decide you like it, ive noticed every time i used in a few of mine that it made them better than normal.Start off with what you want like a pound half the base or all.Marris Otter is an English malt, Golden promise has the same good effect on my beers but havent singled them out to tell the difference,just know they were better with these grains as of now.

It's higher quality visually atleast, my CMC Superior pale ale malt from local malster is a lot more dirtier that Baird's MO, grains fuller, more uniform

Sent from GT-I9100M

Back