Who To Trust more?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noodle23

Reaction score
Ok so i use both hopville and Beertools. Which program can i trust to give more accurate estimates. For example im building my reciepe for a barley wine and hopville says even with 6oz of Magnum at 14aa and all the other hop additions i only hit 77ibu while Beertools says that with only 6oz Magnum at 14aa and no other hop additions im already at 113ibu.
Help me out
CHeers,:mug:

It's been shown, via lab testings, that each of the bittering formulaes used for estimation have flaws. However, Tinseth has been reported as being the most consistently accurate compared to tested results. But, even Tinseth has it's limits to accuracy.

The truest answer to your question is, use whatever software you like most as a formulation guide but ultimately you have to trust your own subjective perception and relate that to the figures resulted from the software.

That is to say, treat the estimate number as a baseline and adjust up and down from that based on subjective perception.

But first, make sure that both applications are set to use the same methods for compuataion. If Hopvilles uses Rager and BeerTools uses Tinseth, as defqaults, then the numbers will, definately, not correlate to one another.

On another note, never trust someone who points out that the question you wanted to ask was "Whom to trust more?" -- not "Who".

Or that, since you're asking about software (not people), it's "Which to trust more?".

Just, you know, being helpful :-D

On another note, never trust someone who points out that the question you wanted to ask was "Whom to trust more?" -- not "Who".

Or that, since you're asking about software (not people), it's "Which to trust more?".

041608087482.jpg

I created a spreadsheet on excel because of some issues I had with some software. I took the many formulas and tweaked them to my specifications and equipment I use. Although, my spreadsheet is finished...I'm still perfecting some portions on it.

I created a spreadsheet on excel because of some issues I had with some software. I took the many formulas and tweaked them to my specifications and equipment I use. Although, my spreadsheet is finished...I'm still perfecting some portions on it.

I'm doing the same. I plan to use the IBU calculator that is in Ray Daniel's book and call it good.

here's plenty of threads on here discussing it. Somewhere it should tell you what the default setting is, and even give you the option to change it.

Here's an explanation of how Beercalculus calculates it from their Hopville Blog;
Previously, the default IBU calculation for Beer Calculus was based on an average of a few popular formulas. It did four calculations (Garetz, Rager, Tinseth, and the legacy Hopville calc) and averaged them together. I chose to blend a few conflicting numbers together instead of committing to a single one by default. That neutral position tended to cause some confusion among both types of brewers: those who cared which formula was in use, but didn’t know you could change it, and those who didn’t care at all. Plus, the only indication that a formula selection was being made was a subtle message “avg” near the IBU result – pretty vague about what was happening behind the scenes. Recipes now default to the Tinseth formula. Hopefully this will satisfy those who prefer this formula, and also clarify the default calculation to folks who don’t really care.

One of the most recent thread discussing this is here. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f84/different-ibus-provided-different-software-218066/

Latest posts

Back