replacing honey in a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j8715

Reaction score
Shalom . . .

I have a recipe for a high alcohol ale (don't have it in front of me now) using honey as one of the main fermentables and also brown sugar, crystal malt. . . another malt. The recipe is from that homebrewer's recipe guide and is called "groaning ale" if anyone knows it.

What would happen to alcohol content, flavor and color if i were to use all brown sugar instead of honey? Is anything considered a standard replacement for honey in recipes?

Gracias.

Honey is mostly made of simple sugars. You could replace the honey with corn sugar, table sugar, brown sugar, turbinado, Lyle's Golden Syrup, and others.

Not sure why you want to replace honey, but I'd replace it with something like corn surgar as mentioned. If you used all brown sugar you'd get more molasses taste than the recipe intended.

I think pound for pound you'd get a slightly stronger beer replacing honey with corn sugar, so you could put less in.

Honey adds 35 gravity points to 1 gal of wort, corn sugar 44

Back