Lager Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fantastical

Reaction score
My lager has been fermenting for about 3 weeks at about 45-50f. I just brought it in out of the cold to room temperature to warm up before bottling and the airlock started bubbling. No big deal I said, it's just the beer expanding due to the increase in temperature.

A day later and the airlock is bubbling once every 10 seconds or so and the beer is now room temp.

What should I do? Leave it at room temp? Bring it back into the lagering temps?

Thanks!

5 gallons of liquid takes more than an hour or two to warm from 45* to room temp, and as it does more CO2 will slowly come out of solution as well as the beer/air in the headspace expanding. Think about how a bottle of beer or soda will still fizz and be fizzy after it's been sitting out for an hour, now multiply that by a lot.

The yeast may have revived for a bit for a diacetyl rest or maybe are chewing up the last .001 or so of SG, but I doubt fermentation is still active. In any case it won't produce any noticeable off-flavors. Don't worry about it.

If you're not sure fermentation's finished, take a gravity reading today and Thursday to put your mind at ease.

My lager has been fermenting for about 3 weeks at about 45-50f
Primary or secondary fermenter?
after the primary the diacetyl rest is needed to let the yeast clean up
then lager at 35-40f till the wort clears ( It' worth it)
if you plan to bottle you need to make sure that you have enough yeast to condition.

Yah. Next lager makes sure you actually lager around 35°F. If fermentation is actually done (ensure by obtaining consistent grav readings), and the bubbling is just off-gassing, there's no harm in bottling now. Make sure you use the temperature converters properly, though, in determining how much priming sugar to use, otherwise you'll have some bottle bombs on your hands.

Back