Citra IPA (round 2)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anubis

Reaction score
So I made this one day after the LHBS guy showed my the beauty of Citra hops. I decided that I was going to brew an IPA with only this hop to really know what it's got going for it. It was only meant as an experiment but once a couple friends got a hold of it there was a demand for more. So this time around (as per their request) I am upping the hop schedules.

So whaddayathink?

5gal

YEAST: Wyeast 1056 (or S04 if I can't get a starter done in time)
STARTER: Yep
OG: 1075
FG: 1019
IBU: 60
SRM: 6
EFF: 80%
ABV: 7.5%
FERM TEMP: 68F
FERM TIME: 'Till it's done?
SECONDARY: Nope

Single Inf. 152F for 60min
Batch Sparge
No Mash Out

12# 2 Row
.5# 40L
.5# Munich 10L

1 oz Citra 13.8% @ 60 min
1 oz Citra 13.8% @ 30 min
1 oz Citra 13.8% @ 15 min
1 oz Citra 13.8% @ 5 min
2 oz Citra 13.8% @ Dry Hop

1/2 tab WhirlFloc @ 5 min

Dry hop 7 days in muslin bag. Cold crash 3 days. Keg or bottle to proper volumes for an American IPA, according to your temps.

Due to my current setup I am stuck doing a partial boil/top off method so the hop additions are adjusted for a 3 gallon boil. I know, I know.

Grains look good. The hop times are the same as for my standard IPA. I think you'll want at least 70IBU's with that OG. Also, I'd do a 2oz dry hop. It is an IPA afterall

Next time try mixing in dome simcoe or cascade to the citra additions, it gets even better.

I like my IPA's closer to 1:1. Plus, I would take advantage of the yummy Citra flavor and at least double your 15 minute addition.

I think it looks good. From what I have used of citra, a little goes a long way in aroma and flavor. I bet it will be intense! Let us know how it goes :)

I changed to all 1oz additions bringing the IBU's up to 60 also giving it a little more flavor and aroma. Also upped the dry hop to 2oz. I think that will be bitter enough for this round. I am brewing this one tomorrow morning.

I wouldn't go any lower than that. There's dry, then there's dry.

I'd go even higher...to maybe 152 for the mash. The Citra creates the impression of a dryer beer (to me). I like a slight hint of maltiness, and at 150 you probably won't get any mouthfeel or body.

I'd go even higher...to maybe 152 for the mash. The Citra creates the impression of a dryer beer (to me). I like a slight hint of maltiness, and at 150 you probably won't get any mouthfeel or body.

Agreed, I did a belgian tripel with citra hop and the citra really made the alcohol more prominent. a little more body might help hide that.

I have postponed brewing for tonight. If I change my schedule around to:

2oz @ 60
1oz @ 15
1oz @ 5

I'll be at 1:01

Or

2.5 @ 60
1 @ 15
.5 @ 5

for 1:16

I could get it more exact but this is just a rough idea. I am stuck with only 4oz of hops but I am sure I can adjust to 1:1 but should I sacrifice the 30 min addition in order to do so?

Thanks, changed to 152. I always worry about getting too much maltyness in my IPA so I thank you for saving me from over correcting.:mug:

And whatever malt/hop ratio you want to hit, I'd consider getting most of the bitterness in with late hop additions. It will take more hops, but you will get a seriously great aroma and flavor from the Citra hops.

Again, on a personal note...
I found after creating my own IPA's that I appreciate a firm but not biting bitterness and more flavor than most commercials have.
On that note, I would keep the 60 min hops @ 2oz and add more at 15.
I don't add between 60 and 15. As far a BU:GU, "ish" is close enough.

youre gonna end up with an 8% DIPA.

theres no way 1056 or s-04 finish at 1.019...019 is way too high to finish for an IPA. you should be in the 012-014 range

Thanks Northernlad. Brew day has been postponed so I will take the time to get the hops right.

Dirty Martini, can you suggest a better strain to use? I thought the BU:GU was fairly balanced and the final IBU's will be around 70-80 to hide the sweetness of a higher FG.

Citra DIPA it is!

Thanks Northernlad. Brew day has been postponed so I will take the time to get the hops right.

Dirty Martini, can you suggest a better strain to use? I thought the BU:GU was fairly balanced and the final IBU's will be around 70-80 to hide the sweetness of a higher FG.

Citra DIPA it is!

the strains are perfectly fine. the BU:GU is fine. its the recipe and your anticipated final gravity thats off. you shouldnt be aiming for a FG of 1.019 for an IPA. it will be super malty and sweet...masking the delicious hop flavors and aromas. you should be aiming to get your FG around 1.012-1.014. In turn, you lower your starting gravity accordingly.

if you are really getting 80% efficiency, i would just drop 1# of 2-row. mash at 150. using those yeasts i would anticipate 80% attenuation. that should get you in the closer ballpark of a nice drinkable IPA. not too bitter, not too malty.

Ah, I see. I wasn't really aiming for that FG.... I was using Beercalculus.com to do the math at work and these are the numbers it spat out and said I was in range for an American IPA (FG no higher than 1018) I thought it was a little high but there it was giving me the green check of approval. I also thought maybe the IBU's were balanced to counter those extra points as was indicated by their handy slide scale of Malty vs Bitter. Or maybe I had just taken a step toward a Double IPA and this was common. Obviously I misunderstood, thanks for the heads up. That's where my original question of "should I mash lower" came in because I wanted to get the FG down.

I just milled my grain getting ready for tomorrow morning, so maybe I'll add more water in the mash and adjust the hops for a 5.25 gal or whatever. One last time.

This has become WAY more in depth than I thought it would. But thank you for all the help.

FWH is the way to go my friend. Do it, you will not regret it. Take that 60 min addition and FWH it!!!!! Trust me, I do not even do IPA's anymore without FWH.

Also, I agree with the 152 mash schedule, especially with the little crystal malt you have going on there. Should finish between 1.013- 1.015.

Back