American stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfr1111

Reaction score
I have a lot of leftovers from other recipes (and from one drunken purchase) that I want to brew with. I had purchased everything for a basic Guinness clone, but after reasoning that I don't have a nitro tap, and that Guinness with the widget is somewhat cheap, I decided to try to find a good American stout that can be my staple around the house instead: cheap, simple, uses stuff I have around. I also want it to be somewhat acessible to people who haven't taken the plunge ot the stout side, so I'm trying to keep the hop bitterness/roast character lowish to ease the transition from yellow fizzy water.

1.051 OG
1.011 FG

70% American 2-row
10% Flaked Barley
9% C-40
6% Roasted Barley (500 SRM)
5% Choc. Malt (350 SRM)

Hop Schedule (28 total IBU)
Galena 60 min 20 IBU
Cascade 20 min 8 IBU
*Maybe an ounce of Cascade for a 5 gal batch at flameout

Mash at 150-152F for 60 minutes. Use US-05.

Looks like a solid recipe. The only suggestion might be to raise the mash temp a bit. At 150 with US-05 the beer might end up a bit too dry. I would go with 154-156 to get a little more body.

Yeah, since this started as a dry stout, I decided to mash lower. 156F might be too much with the pound of c-40 and the flaked barley, but 154F will probably be perfect. Thanks !

Will be brewing this probably in two weeks since right now the smell in the brew room is a bit too much with two active fermentations going at the same time and my swamp cooler is full anyway.

Latest posts

Back