Honey ale recipe advise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akardam

Reaction score
i really am trying to find the optimal tradeoff between malt and honey and so I brewed in the past a few honey porters, however now I want to open up the colour and flavour to a more pale ale kind. I have Schramm's hefty braggot in my secondary and in the meanwhile I want some advice on the following recipe:

8-9 lbs pale ale malt
1 crystal 60L
.5 carapils
.5-.7 biscuit
and 1-1.5lb honey.
and 2oz Goldings EK (1oz bittering, 1oz aroma)

what do you reckon? is it well balanced?
i thought maybe carapils could give a bit of body and crystal a bit of caramelly taste along with a pinch of biscuit..

what temp should i mash?154F?

I think it is good. If you are looking for a maltier brew, mash at the temp you stated; drier beer, mash around 148. I wouldn't boil the honey long (no more than 15 minutes) if you want it to be somewhat noticeable.

thanks! in fact, in schramm's book the compleat meadmaker he also states that honey shouldnt be boiled but heated to 60C for 15-20min.. so i am taking that into consideration. cheers mate!

Looks good. I'd go with the .5 oz of biscuit...but that's just because I'm not a huge fan of it.

Back