Rick's Apflewein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billc68

Reaction score
Ok, with the popularity of Edwort's Apflewein, I tried a variation, I am not satisfied with it but it is drinkable.

Anyway, I have a new idea on a variation of Apflewein. I am going to make a 3 gallon batch. Apple juice was on sale today so i picked up 13 liters (nice to have extra) But I was thinking, instead of adding dextrose, I would use frozen concentrated apple juice. The frozen concentrate available here is 330ml and makes 1.32 L of juice. So basically I am adding a liter of water to each package of frozen concentrate. What if I used apple juice instead of water, I should have roughly double the sugar content, double the apple flavour. It might be overpowering in the flavour department, or it could be excellent, has anyone tried this?

Also I can't get Montrachet yeast locally, My choices are Lalvin Champagne yeast (EC 1118) or 71B 1122 http://www.lalvinyeast.com/strains.asp Which is closest? or does someone want to mail me a packet of Montrachet?

Doubling the sugar likely won't double the apple flavor. It's still going to be really dry unless you stablize or back-sweeten.

Can you get Lavlin D47? I've made Ed's recipe with that and found it retains a little more apple flavor.

Otherwise, I'd use the 71B1122, which mazers use a lot for melamels (fruit meads).

Doubling the sugar likely won't double the apple flavor. It's still going to be really dry unless you stablize or back-sweeten.

Can you get Lavlin D47? I've made Ed's recipe with that and found it retains a little more apple flavor.

Otherwise, I'd use the 71B1122, which mazers use a lot for melamels (fruit meads).

I am glad to hear that, I took a stab and used that for my mead as well. I thinkI saw D47 at one of the shops.
What I meant by doubling th eapple flavour is, I would basically have double teh apple juice but half teh water content, that should modify the flavour some, I bet as juice it would be way too sweet and appley

I tried using AJ concentrate in a 1-gallon batch. I poured out 24 oz of juice, and added back two cans of concentrate. It raised the S.G. from 1.050 to 1.072. I bottled last weekend (SG = 0.999), using 2.5 oz of concentrate for my priming sugar. I'll let you know in a month or so how it is.

I think 'd go with the 71B, it'll metabolize some of the malic acid into alcohol & make for a smoother, "softer" cider. Regards, GF.

Back