Feedback on this Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thievaryx

Reaction score
After brewing a couple simple recipes, this is the first time I will be making my own brewrecipe. I have done a bunch of reading (great forum by the way) and I really want to get a feel for "what does what".

I really enjoy beers with some nice body, definite character and a nice sweet undertone -- think Leffe Blonde. On the other side of the spectrum, I also enjoy Paulaner quite a bit.

I drew up this recipe as kind of a mish mash between both beers. So far this is what I have scribbled up, but still haven't ordered the ingredients yet.

So lets hear it. Please remember I am still quite new at this! :)

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 lb Amber Liquid Extract (12.5 SRM) Extract 46.2 %
3.00 lb Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 46.2 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM) Grain 7.7 %
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (60 min) Hops 21.1 IBU
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50%] (5 min) Hops 6.5 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.044 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.3 %
Est Color: 10.1 SRM

I say swap the hops so the Northern Brewers are your bittering hop and the cascades for the late addition. If you're worried about the IBU's you could go .75 oz of NB at 60, cascade at 5 and the last .25oz of NB at flame out.

My $0.02:mug:

I really enjoy beers with some nice body, definite character and a nice sweet undertone -- think Leffe Blonde. On the other side of the spectrum, I also enjoy Paulaner quite a bit.

If you're referring to Paulaner Hefeweissbier, the beers you mention are really big on yeast character and really low on hop character. Notty is great yeast, but it doesn't have a whole lot of personality.

Take a look at recipes like https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/swmbo-slayer-belgian-blonde-26599/ and https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/bee-cave-brewery-bavarian-hefeweizen-35679/

Back