Newbie kegging questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moonladymae

Reaction score
Hi All,
This forum has been pretty great so far, I have leaned a lot. I have one or two silly newbie questions. I am planning on kegging my beer and I have limited space for refrigerating.
Can I carb it at room temp than cool it for a day before drinking?
Does the force carbing work at room temp?
I need more clarity on the carbing, I've been reading through lots of posts and haven't really got the answer I'm looking for I guess. Is there a good link or website that explains kegging? Thanks for your time! Happy brewing! :mug:

You can carb at room temperature, and there are charts to help you figure out what pressure and what pressure to use. The only thing I think would be an issue is chilling for a day. That means that you'd have a big pressure change in a day.

I would guess you could do it, especially if it wasn't a huge change in temperature. Are you planning on icing the keg the day of a party? Otherwise, you could go with a jockey box for serving.

I would cool it for a minimum of 24hrs before drinking.

Yes you can force carb at room temp, but the CO2 dissolves better and you use less at lower temps.

When I force carb I hit my keg with 30psi, then rock it back and forth on the floor for a few minutes, then hit it again with 30psi, and rock again for another few minutes. I then drop the pressure to serving pressure ~10psi and let it settle for a couple of hours. In your case I would drop it to 10psi leave it on the gas and let it sit in the fridge for 24hours. If it's not carbed enough after you pull your first pint then hit it with another 30psi and rock it back and forth for another few minutes.

Thanks for the replies! I love how quick I can get answers and suggestions on here. I know it seems a bit odd to have problems with refrigeration in Alaska ;) but the temperature outside varies anywhere from 0-35 deg in my area, it was 0 a week ago now it's 36, right now is the perfect temp to throw the keg outside for cooling and carbing but it may not be this warm when it comes time. I think I am going to go with the force carb. And cool it for at least 24-36 hrs before trying some. Now my question is... How long after I transfer it to the keg should I wait before carbing it?

Force carb it as soon as you keg it!!! I hit mine with 10psi and purge a couple times to get the air out of the headspace, then force carb as I said above. If you're not going to chill it first then knock yourself out right away!

I've been looking for this for a while, but is there a post/place with step by step how to go about kegging? I'm about to install my full tap setup and have 6 kegs waiting for beer, but I have no idea how to get past siphoning into them.

Just looking for a step by step. I think that needs to be stickied in the kegging forum.

Go to the Kegging/Bottling section. Keg Force Carbing Methods Illustrated is thesticky that will get you going!

Cheers

Go to the Kegging/Bottling section. Keg Force Carbing Methods Illustrated is thesticky that will get you going!

Cheers

That's good for forced carbonation, but it doesn't really explain natural carbonation, or any techniques associated with kegging.

Even Bobby_M says that this thread shouldn't necessarily be stickied. I think that there are plenty of stickies that cover everything you could possibly ask about a topic. I think this should be part of that sticky on kegging

If you want to naturally carb a keg, just rack your beer into it with about 1/2 the priming sugar you would normally use for bottling. Purge the keg a few times with C02 and leave it sit somewhere warm for a few weeks just like your bottles.

It works.

Back