Partial mash - what should my water to grain ratio be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonzombiekitty

Reaction score
My next batch is going to be an attempt at making a copper rye ale. Since I'll be using rye malt, I'll need to to a partial mash.

Since I've got extra ingredients from my last batch, I'm planning on using 8oz each of Rye Malt, Crystal 120, and Cara-pils. The remaining will just be 5lbs of Light DME.

To do the mash I know I can mash the Crystal and Carapils along with the Rye even though they don't need to be mashed. But how much water (should it be 3, 2.25, or 1.875qt?), what temp, and what duration should I use?

Edit: I meant qt, not gal.

Though I am not 100% sure on this, but I would guess that it would be the same as for All-Grain. 1.25-2.00 qts/pound of grain. Not certain of that though.

Anyone know the diastatic power of rye malt? I can't find that data anywhere. I'd mash with 3 quarts of water until the end of the mash, then add another 3 quarts, stir, and drain.

Anyone know the diastatic power of rye malt? I can't find that data anywhere. I'd mash with 3 quarts of water until the end of the mash, then add another 3 quarts, stir, and drain.

I came up with this on google: http://brewingtechniques.com/library/backissues/issue1.3/hayden.html

"Further, rye malts tend to be richer than barley malts in alpha amylase, although barley malts provide slightly higher diastatic power."

Breiss's site says that Rye Malt can be either diastatic or non-diastatic. I'd say it's probably fine, although it's hard to say for sure.

A couple of things from that article that worry me, though:

"Including rye also increases the wort pH, so you may want to monitor the pH and make adjustments accordingly (1)."
Do you think the 8oz of Crystal 120 would be enough to buffer it?

"Like wheat, rye comes in hulled form." + "One important factor to consider is rye's high beta-glucan content."
Definitely throw some rice hulls in there.

I'm pretty sure that rye malt can convert itself, but I'd throw a pound of two-row anyway just to ensure conversion. It might take rye malt a longer time to convert, and a pound of two-row will make sure that there is enough diastatic power.

It's such a tiny mash, I wouldn't worry about pH. Also, since I'm assuming the mash is going to be done in a mesh bag, there's not worry about stuck runoff.

Yeah, I'm not to worried about that stuff. I just want to make sure I have the correct water to grain ratio & temperature.

Back