DIY Conical: SS vs HDPE

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arturo7

Reaction score
The 12 gallon stainless steel conical hopper pictured below runs about $200, add $50 for a lid. A 15 gallon HDPE is about $100.

Both will require a stand.
Both will need some work to seal the lid.
Both can use a weld-less racking port.
Both need a port on the lid for an air lock.

The only real challenge with the SS is welding on a fitting for the dump valve.

Does this sound logical?

(file too big, here's the link) http://www.toledometalspinning.com/pdfs/TMS141214.pdf

Well I don't think it's stupid..but when you can buy "the vessel" conical fermenter for $174.00 ready to go, why bother? It comes with hanging hardware, lid, airlock, etc.

You'd need two of those to make the 12G capacity that the SS conical would have.

I'd go stainless just for the durability factor. *shrug*

Yeah, it's logical. But by the time you are done you'll be within spitting distance of a fully fitted Blichman. I've not done a ton of research on this, but just off the top of my sleepy head:

Blichman 14.4 gallon Conical = $600

vs

Toledo Spinning Cone (~12.5 gallons) = $200
Top = $50
Stuff to make it seal = $25 (I'm guessing a big silicone o-ring and some clamps)
Weld-less Racking Arm = $50 (assuming SS valve, fittings, tube, unibit)
Dump Valve and parts = $25 - $100 !(assuming SS, price goes up sharply with size...bigger is much better)
Welding or kit to make dump valve weldless = ~$75 (wag)
Stand / Legs = $50 (assuming it is not totally lame)
Blow-off fittings and stuff = $25
(I've left shipping and taxes out of it, as they apply to both relatively equally)

That's around $500 on the low end. You might be able to do better, but I wouldn't be surprised if these numbers are pretty close once all the little stuff is added up.

I just don't see it as worth it from a purely financial point of view.

If you are doing it because you enjoy building it yourself, then go for it!!!

But if it is to save money I think you'll be saving little for a lot of work and you would quite possibly end up with an inferior product (as the Blichman and B3 products are wort-tested, wort-approved.)

On top of all that, unless you are particularly handy you'll likely screw at least one step up and have to spend money to fix your oops.

My SWAG came in around $400, but I think it could be done for less.

A fabricated lid isn't really necessary. I think a flat round of stainless will work. Add a lock ring to take care of the seal. $10 for a wooden stand. I'm guessing $20 tops for the welding. Nothing about this project is difficult to fabricate.

Vessel $200
Lid & ring $30
Stand $20
Welding $20 (who knows?)
Hardware $100-150

Back