Redhook carbonation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

St. Jon's Wort

Reaction score
According to the Redhook brewery website, they naturally carbonate their beer by "closing the exhaust vents on their fermenters partway through the fermentation process, pressurizing the fermenter and naturally carbonating their beer". Is this a potential way to carbonate for the homebrewer or are plastic buckets/carboys not likely to withstand the pressure? It sounds like to me that they essentially turn the fermenter into a large beer bottle but how do they maintain the carbonation during transfer to bottles I wonder?

They are using stainless steel fermenters designed to handle carbonation pressures. They chill the beer and fill using low pressures.

There are similar tanks available for homebrewers. Buckets and carboys will not handle the pressure.

Also, I've heard of some homebrewers (mostly in Germany) bottling partway through primary fermentation. That seems like a lot of work, though, and with a bunch of ways to mess up and make bottle bombs, so I'll stick with my corn sugar.

Back