What to do with fresh horseradish?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marubozo

I can has homebrew?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was out getting the mail and the neighbor stopped by and asked me if I like horseradish. He grows his own and grates it so he gave me a jar of freshly grated horseradish. But it's a pretty big jar so what can I do with it?

I know it goes good with beef and can make a mean shrimp cocktail sauce, but what else is it good for?

I use it on sandwiches. The store stuff anyway, I haven't had home prepared horseradish in years.

It may be weird but one of my favorite ways to eat roasted ham is mustard, hot sauce and horseradish mixed together and spread over the top.

My dad, a total green thumb, has grown his own horseradish for years. The first time he picked his he took some advice from a friend to blend it with water in the blender and then jar it and store it in the fridge. This is essentially "prepared horseradish". He did this with a **** ton of horseradish and then, after blending, he leaned over and put his nose into the blender and took a huge wiff. He fell on his ass it was so overpowering. He said it felt like a kick in the balls.

Good times, great oldies.

Mix it with some mayo for a spread for sandwiches. Straight horseradish is usually too overpowering for a sandwich, but horsey mayo gives some of the flavor without crowding out the other flavors of the sandwich. Also good way to cut the spiciness if you have some people that need it mild.

Get some raw oysters and eat them with horseradish. MMMMM.
Wash it down with a beer.
Repeat.

Just this weekend the waiter at The Pub gave me their recipe for they horseradish sauce. The stuff was damn good and easy to make. I'll post the recipe when I get home tonight.

I have always liked to take saltines place a slice of swiss cheese on them, add a nice pile of horseradish and then top it with a nice helping of yellow mustard. Sounds weird, I know, but build them right and they are damn tasty! Also good to clear up the sinuses :)

Lots of good ideas here. Here's one I tried last night and it was fantastic. I just took some cream cheese and mixed in a few spoonfuls of horseradish. Added a dash of salt and pepper. It was a perfect dip for hard pretzels and wheat thin crackers.

I don't get horseradish on prime rib or steak. It just seems to overpower a delicious steak. I love horseradish on all sorts of things, but it seems to me that all a steak needs is salt and pepper when served. Maybe au jus if prime rib.

Just this weekend the waiter at The Pub gave me their recipe for they horseradish sauce. The stuff was damn good and easy to make. I'll post the recipe when I get home tonight.

I have always liked to take saltines place a slice of swiss cheese on them, add a nice pile of horseradish and then top it with a nice helping of yellow mustard. Sounds weird, I know, but build them right and they are damn tasty! Also good to clear up the sinuses :)

Here's the recipe I was talking about:

The Pub's Creamy Horseradish Sauce

8 cups well drained horseradish
8 cups sour cream
2 cups mayo
2 tsp Tabasco
2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp white pepper

I was out getting the mail and the neighbor stopped by and asked me if I like horseradish. He grows his own and grates it so he gave me a jar of freshly grated horseradish. But it's a pretty big jar so what can I do with it?

I know it goes good with beef and can make a mean shrimp cocktail sauce, but what else is it good for?

It's a great additive to mustard(s), goes great in hot & sour soup, I've even spread it on a bologna sandwich to spice things up a bit. Try mixing a little with some cranberry jelly & spreading that on your next turkey sandwich, or put a wee dab in egg rolls or wontons. I've also heard it will repel deer from your garden, but I don't know if that's actually true or not; but I can tell you dogs don't like it one bit, at least my dog doesn't. Regards, GF.

It's a nice addition to corned beef and cabbage with potatoes, or just smeared on a thick corned beef or roast beef sandwich. Maybe a nice touch to some potato salad, crab cakes, chicken or tuna fish, maybe a bbq sauce? Screw it, make up a big ole batch of horseradish ice cream! Headburning brainfreeze?

Back