DIY Stir Plate components question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelingLight

Reaction score
I'm building a stir plate tonight. Going to pick up a few more things I need today, mainly a rocker switch and rheostat. Does it make much difference what toggle/rocker switch I get? I'm looking at these two and they are rated differently, just making sure it doesn't really matter since I'm just running a PC fan with it.

Either of these two work fine?

Rated 20 amps at 12VDC

Rated 6A 125V, 3A 250V

You don't need a switch. Just unplug it.

But either would do the job fine.
That's kind of what I was thinking, right?? I wondered why everyone was installing switches when you could just unplug it. But...I guess I would have to rework my wiring schematic if I omitted the rocker switch...

Read up on using rheostats with fans, they lose a lot of their power that way, even when their range just hits the sweet spot.

Using a PWM controller instead would be much better. There's thread on using a very simple USB solution. It's by Gavin B.

I guess you intend to use a wall wart. I hate having those plugged in perpetually, hence the unplug when not in use.

Read up on using rheostats with fans, they lose a lot of their power that way, even when their range just hits the sweet spot.

Using a PWM controller instead would be much better. There's thread on using a very simple USB solution. It's by Gavin B.

I guess you intend to use a wall wart. I hate having those plugged in perpetually, hence the unplug when not in use.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll see if I can find that thread.

This is what I used for fan speed control. It includes an on/off switch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back