6 or 6.5 gallon carboy ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtrogers14

Reaction score
I am going to upgrade from a platic bucket fermintation and get a glass carboy. my LHBS has 6's in stock but not 6.5's. What are the advantages of the 6.5 that I would be missing out on if I settle for the 6 ??

I have both the 6 & 6.5 and the only difference is the half gallon ..they are both wonderful but I have.brewed in both and have never had the need to need more space in either.

I like the 6.5 just to leave a little extra room for blow off. If you can swing it you might as well go with the 6.5...nothing wrong with the 6 though.

Six gallon is fine for most situations, but if you ever intend to do a fruit beer (adding 5 or 6 pounds of fruit to secondary) or a wine kit, you'll need the 6 1/2 gallon.

My LHBS had both. The difference between the two was $2. I got the 6.5.

All new glass carboys I buy the 6.5g because the incremental cost per gallon of capacity is less than the 5g or 6g. However I need to develop a good SOP for handling these things, since now I am nervous about one of them breaking while I'm carrying it.

All new glass carboys I buy the 6.5g because the incremental cost per gallon of capacity is less than the 5g or 6g. However I need to develop a good SOP for handling these things, since now I am nervous about one of them breaking while I'm carrying it.

LOL ahh the SOP term have not heard than for a while.... get one of the carboy handles I love mine just check on them once in a while to make sure it's still nice and tight.... or bre haulers work well too. They're not as fragile as most think but a drop from 5' onto a hard surface can kill it for sure.

remember it;s not plastic and nothing to worry about...

to the OP if you get the 6.5 for a reasonable price bigger is always better for a primary.

Check amazon sometime you can find them preety cheap.

porcupine73 said:

Milk crates, cheap and easy.

Thanks yes I'm working on my plan, I'm thinking of wearing synthetic motorcycle riding gear when handling them. That stuff is lightweight and cut resistant. Plus some type of grippy cut resistant gloves.

porcupine73 said:
Thanks yes I'm working on my plan, I'm thinking of wearing synthetic motorcycle riding gear when handling them. That stuff is lightweight and cut resistant. Plus some type of grippy cut resistant gloves.

Personally I don't think they're as dangerous as all that, if you're careful. I have one that's 25 years old. If you don't carry them by the neck, and don't drop them, you should be alright.

Yea get the 6.5. When moving wrap a towel around it, makes it less slippery. Make sure you have one hand/arm under it.
Slainte

Thanks. Hm usually when I pick them up, I push on the neck to lift the bottom off the ground, then slip one hand underneath and the other on the neck. The problem I feel is that there is always the risk of breakage while handling, mostly when it is full, with potentially serious consequences. I've been doing it bare handed so far but I don't want to take that risk anymore though I do want to continue glass or least some type of non-plastic container. I have been routinely picking them up when full, I'm just happy I haven't had a problem yet.

At the risk of being lynched, I'd go with "buckets". They are unbreakable, have handles, are cheap, and have plenty of headspace. I have a ton of carboys that I never use.

Yooper said:
At the risk of being lynched, I'd go with "buckets". They are unbreakable, have handles, are cheap, and have plenty of headspace. I have a ton of carboys that I never use.

And dang near disposable.

You cannot beat a bucket for convenience, safety, and cleanup, no doubt. But there is something nice about watching your beer ferment in glass. That's why I'm about 50/50.

Or if for whatever reason you just simply cannot bring yourself to trust the food safety of plastic.

I am a new brewer and it is great to be able to see your beer ferment. If it was in a bucket I think I've have chewed my fingers off worrying about it.
Slainte

Yooper, where are you located ? I'd gladly take those carboys off your hands !!!

Back