My Brew system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamshifflett

Reaction score
Hey guys, let me preface with a huge thank you for the wealth of information that is availlable here and the huge help everyone has been since I started brewing.

With that said I'm starting to build my own single tier system. I'd like to describe the basics now and of course open the floor for all the constructive critisism that I hope will make my system the best it can be.

I want to use a single tier system due to the ability to more easily monitor whats going on in the kettles. I plan on using low pressure LP for the HLT and BK after alot of reading. I dont' have NG lines available or 240V connection where I'm planning on brewing. I use the kitchen atm but my wife is getting sick of that :) I intend to use a two pump system with a RIMS tube similar to what SAWDUSTGUY outlined on one of his threads.

I've been collecting parts for awhile now and some things are just hard to find in this area.

Please let me know if the basic idea (which has been done before) is sound based on the reasons I stated or if you guys see a way around this. Also of note, I'm active duty military and about to separate after 11 years so we'll be moving this coming fall. I only mention this to point out the fact that I don't want to make any changes to the house (i.e. running 240V to the garage)

::EDIT:: Forgot to mention, as with most I have a limited budget that rolls in every month to play with. As a result I'm try to purchase things in the most.... efficient manner to allow me to start brewing on this thing as early as possible. Some of the items I've gathered aren't exactly needed at this stage but I got a really good deal on them!

As far as the "stuff" that I've been able to collect thus far!

Things from my current system:
5 Gallon kettle for my current extract system
32QT aluminum pot (no valve yet, was a turkey fryer that I got free and cleaned up.)
Turkey fryer LP burner
25' copper chiller (DIY)

3x Keg
About 60 ft of 1.5"x1.5" angle iron (free from some HVAC work)
1x Honeywell y8610U kit
2x more Turkey fryer burners (lol can be used until the real burners get put in)
15" SS Jaybird False bottom with SS pickup tube, weldless bulkhead and 3 piece SS valve
3' of Silicon tube (sweet deal, came with the false bottom)

Ok question about burners. I've got my Honeywell Y8610U and I'm looking to buy burners soon. The BG-14 and all the varieties of a very similar looking 10" burner are confusing me. Are these all the same burner with different names? It seems that some are listed as HP and some LP. Additionally it seems that the photos show the burner, perhaps the difference is the small valve that plugs into the burner to accept whatever hose supply you are using? My verbiage for gas systems is horrible and I feel like I'm not really certain about what I need to purchase or what the best route is. I've read through a lot of the threads relating and I have a better understanding but still don't' think I've got it all figured out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Got some more parts in.

image-557274495.jpg

Welding this weekend.

low pressure and high pressure is what LP and HP mean basically a HP burner has more potential for higher heat because it is throwing more gas at it. Also I am not sure im not a propane expert but my understanding is that a high pressure burner will not work with a low pressure regulator.

So far i like the bling though!!

low pressure and high pressure is what LP and HP mean basically a HP burner has more potential for higher heat because it is throwing more gas at it. Also I am not sure im not a propane expert but my understanding is that a high pressure burner will not work with a low pressure regulator.

So far i like the bling though!!

Thanks for the input man, thankfully I was able to get with kladue a few days back and I'm working through all my gas side questions. The focus this weekend will be fluids and possibly some electrical stuff.

Here's what I got so far. Building MK1 mod0 with cheap angle iron. Once I get through the whole process and decide what I want to change i'll do a new stand.

image-3332586071.jpg

image-3673017240.jpg

Back