When to transfer to a secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkymtn

Reaction score
Yep, I am a newbie. First batch in the primary. I intend to rack to a secondary. Brewing a Beligium Wit. WLP400 yeast. Did not use a starter. (won't do that again) No action seen in the airlock at all, but from reading previous posts, that should not be a concern. Brew has been in primary fermentor for a week, good krausen. OG was 1.050 at pitch. now at 1.030.

How do I know when to move to the secondary? Any recommendations? Welcome any thoughts and advice.

many people have stopped using secondary and just leave in primary for 3 or 4 weeks. but if you do want to use it, the proper time to transfer is once your beer has reached final gravity.

Congrats on the first batch! You're fine without a starter here, by the way...the OG you had is okay for the WLP400 vial. I did a 1.053 belgium wit, using no starter, and it came out great.

Yeah, don't transfer until you're at (or very close to) the FG.

don't transfer to a secondary at all. i can't imagine why a secondary would be needed, especially with a wit beer.

Welcom to HBT -

I would just keep it in the primary 4 weeks or so..check gravity to be sure before you bottle

No secondary necessary. Make sure the beer is done before packaging--double the time it takes for the krausen to fall (if it takes one week for the krausen to fall, check in two weeks). Check the gravity, then check it again the next day. If it is the same gravity both days, then package your beer.

Eric

Back