Wire This Up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
These are generic photo. Calling all electricians, Looking for an easy wiring diagram to wire this up to run my BK!! 5500W heating element - 40A SSR - Bakatronics FK804.

image-2786807942.png

image-352627975.png

image-2753333999.jpg

First I had to figure out what the FK804 was... then I thought you were crazy, but now I see the light... Interesting concept

Can the duty cycle of the SSR handle the on/off cycles? I have no idea how fast the PWM rheostat cycles but it must be many times a second, no?

if you don't know how to hook this up i don't know that it's a good idea to do it yourself. electricity + liquid = death

I'm considering constructing something similar, but I am not an expert. Try PM'ing Walker or P-J. I borrowed this diagram from P-J:

circuit02q.jpg

A 30A switch may be safer for the 5500W element.

Well, you know those Linux types...

:ban:

Not really, but i'm sick to death of all the "you're gonna die" when it comes to electricity. Were all old enough to vote, get drafted, drink, and have sex. I do believe were capable enough to interpret electrical advice.

_

Not really, but i'm sick to death of all the "you're gonna die" when it comes to electricity. Were all old enough to vote, get drafted, drink, and have sex. I do believe were capable enough to interpret electrical advice.

_

Wildwest, i have no problem with electric brewing. you have a fantastic setup. i have built a heatstick, wired 240 outlets in the house, etc... but i took the time to do the research and went in knowing what i was doing (as did you).

this guy doesn't understand how the THREE components he bought go together and wants someone else on the internet to just tell him. he will then blindly hook everything up and dunk it in some water to test.

if he had taken a stab at a diagram i prolly would have just corrected it, explained what was wrong and gone with my day. but posting something to the internet and saying "hey please do my research for me" is different for 110v than it is for advice on what recipe to brew next.:cross:

wasn't trying to start a fight about electric brewing, just trying to tell this guy he may be in over his head and to get some help.

SpottedDogBrewing said:
What's the Green wire?

Goes to chassis ground of the flux capacitor. Do NOT hook it to earth ground, otherwise you'll travel forward in time instead of backward.

Seriously though, learn some theory before attempting. 110 Vac is no joke.

If it were a couple led's in a 5v 1 mA circuit, I'd say go ahead and play around, but you're dealing with stuff that is potentially life threatening.

Goes to chassis ground of the flux capacitor. Do NOT hook it to earth ground, otherwise you'll travel forward in time instead of backward.

isn't he TRYING to go forward in time? that's the way i have mine hooked up, it makes boils shorter. Tho i guess i could hook it to a switch to go back in time in case i miss hop additions :mug:

slakwhere said:
isn't he TRYING to go forward in time? that's the way i have mine hooked up, it makes boils shorter. Tho i guess i could hook it to a switch to go back in time in case i miss hop additions :mug:

Probably would be an expensive switch, a switch that can handle 1.21 jigawatts woul need some massive leads

slakwhere said:
if you don't know how to hook this up i don't know that it's a good idea to do it yourself. electricity + liquid = death

wildwest450 said:
Ok, I take back everything I said. You will die, but die on your own terms.:D

-

OK, what is the green wire is a joke!! Relax;-)
I thought instead of posting a wire diagram of my own I would get different options if I asked for one!!

By the way, where do I buy a flux capacitor and where does this go in the wiring diagram?

To answer the OP;
circuit02q.jpg

This looks like what you want to do.
You'll need to observe output polarity to the SSR.
You will need a DC power supply also.

Latest posts

Back