Least expensive '1 gallon' fermenters (for test batches)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neldred

Reaction score
I wanted to do a series of 1 gallon test batches with extra light DME and one specialty grain and one hop to start to learn the differences in taste and feel to these various ingredients. I think 1 gallon batches for these make the most sense since there is a long road ahead of me. What 'on the cheap' fermenter is ok to use that will allow CO2 to release and won't disflavor the brewing beer? Thanks.

Look for the gallon jugs of cider (perfect time of year for them). Last year Whole Foods had really good ones

I wanted to do a series of 1 gallon test batches with extra light DME and one specialty grain and one hop to start to learn the differences in taste and feel to these various ingredients. I think 1 gallon batches for these make the most sense since there is a long road ahead of me. What 'on the cheap' fermenter is ok to use that will allow CO2 to release and won't disflavor the brewing beer? Thanks.

I bought a couple extract kits from Austin Homebrew recently while they had the 50 state sale. The liquid extract came in small buckets that are perfect for test batches.

Buy 5 gallons of apple juice-make a batch of apfelwein. Now you have 5 1 gallon fermenters. I've femented in 1 gallon distilled water jugs before with no taste issues. Now I use glass though, I find 1 gallon glass jugs 1$ all the time at the thrift stores.

I was just looking at brewing with this method instead of going to large batches. I'm not allowed to have too much beer so this is perfect for me (for now).

A local pharmacy (for example!) has 1 gallon glass carboys(?) for $4.50 + 3.00 shipping. It's local so for me it's only 4.50. You might check around. We had 2 "hidden" kind-of brew shops here that were mixed in with pharmacies.

http://www.shriverspharmacy.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=262&
zenid=4abcca8c4b995beb229b8bdc33214533

Hope this helps.

A local pharmacy (for example!) has 1 gallon glass carboys(?) for $4.50 + 3.00 shipping. It's local so for me it's only 4.50. You might check around. We had 2 "hidden" kind-of brew shops here that were mixed in with pharmacies.

DO they also sell organs and perform surgery?

Buy 5 gallons of apple juice-make a batch of apfelwein. Now you have 5 1 gallon fermenters. I've femented in 1 gallon distilled water jugs before with no taste issues. Now I use glass though, I find 1 gallon glass jugs 1$ all the time at the thrift stores.

Either of those ways -- buying cider or finding jugs at thrift stores -- seem like the best options.

I saw gallons of cider at Lowe's Foods tonight for $3.99 in nice glass gallon jugs. Perfect time to make apfelwein and acquire some one-gallon jugs.

DO they also sell organs and perform surgery?

Haha. It's one of the two places to buy the stuff locally. We have a store called Winerak which has a buttload of beer/wine/everything else. They also have some of the wine making stuff as well as beer making supplies. Sometimes you have to visit both to get what you need (at least in a single day). They are all willing to make orders for you though.

I have these killer little 2 gallon buckets in the store with a lid and a grommet. I sell a crap load of them to the wine makers for small batches of wine when they have leftover stuff, they just love em' I am wondering if a 2 gallon bucket wouldn't be the ticket. you would have plenty of head space and you could push them to 1.25- 1.5 gallon test batches. I am thinking a 1 gallon glass jar you would be hard pressed to make anything larger than a 3/4 gallon batch in. It's just a thought. Maybe your LHBS has something like them too.
Cheers
Jay

Carlo rossi bottles.

Easily obtained from your local recycling center... A bit (Ok a lot) ghetto but free and easy!

1 gallon lipton green tea bottles. They're PETE plastic and cost about 3 dollars. Also you get a gallon of green tea. win win. You can take the lid off and squeeze an air lock on without using a stopper or grommet. (but of course, it's better to use a stopper).

Either of those ways -- buying cider or finding jugs at thrift stores -- seem like the best options.

I saw gallons of cider at Lowe's Foods tonight for $3.99 in nice glass gallon jugs. Perfect time to make apfelwein and acquire some one-gallon jugs.

If they're $3.99- double-check that they're not 3 quart jugs. They look like they're about a gallon, but really you're only getting 3/4 of a gallon. I bought and returned five of those from a grocery store by me... cashier was kinda pissed that she had to lug all those back :D

If they're $3.99- double-check that they're not 3 quart jugs. They look like they're about a gallon, but really you're only getting 3/4 of a gallon. I bought and returned five of those from a grocery store by me... cashier was kinda pissed that she had to lug all those back :D

I could very well be wrong. I didn't really look, just thought they were gallons.

I'll definitely double check before I purchase any. Thanks for the heads up.

neldred,

I know you are looking for 1gal containers, but if you check your local bakeries (grocery store or otherwise) you can get 2gal icing buckets with lids for free. I have 2 of them for small batches as well as 2 three gallon buckets.

To make a hole for a bung and airlock I just heated a 1" socket on the stove element and pressed with through the plastic lid with a pair of pliers. You will need to debur the hole with a razor blade.

Back