Rice Hulls

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
when calculating grain absorbtion, if a recipe calls for rice hulls, do I add that to the total grain bill???

Ok. What is the reasoning behind that.....Too late for me by the way, just thinking for next batch...

Ok. What is the reasoning behind that.....Too late for me by the way, just thinking for next batch...

Quite simply, so you can just forget about them even being used when calculating your water absorption. Just makes things simpler by removing one variable in the calcs.

Quite simply, so you can just forget about them even being used when calculating your water absorption. Just makes things simpler by removing one variable in the calcs.
The other thing is that there is a fair amount of dusty crap in them. Put them in a spaghetti strainer and run water over them to remove all the fine stuff that won't aid in your lautering.

The other thing is that there is a fair amount of dusty crap in them. Put them in a strainer and run water over them to remove all the fine stuff that won't aid in your lautering.
+1, the rice hulls I have are pretty dirty and I don't want that stuff in my mash. I pre-rinse and then soak in hot water while my mash is underway. I don't bother adding them until I am ready to vorlauf.

I don't bother adding them until I am ready to vorlauf.

So do you stir them in right before vorlauf? And how much do you usually use. I just bought a pound at my LHBS, and plan to use them in a 312 urban wheat clone, but I have no idea how much of that pound to use.

So do you stir them in right before vorlauf? And how much do you usually use. I just bought a pound at my LHBS, and plan to use them in a 312 urban wheat clone, but I have no idea how much of that pound to use.

I just toss a couple handfuls +/- depending on the composition of my grist when I use the hulls...I add them after milling.

Back