insects in my 2-row! (pic)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrFebtober

Reaction score
Nothing quite like getting home from the LHBS, starring proudly at the 14 lbs of crushed 2-row that will make up the base of your christmas warmer (my biggest AG beer yet!), only to go in for a closer look and see that it's moving around a bit.

You rub your eyes and squint in even closer, then you say "Oh f*ckbunnies!" and go grab the camera:
buggy.JPG

Well, that's what I did. Has this ever happened to anyone else? I hadn't opened the bag of grain at all, crushed it at the store, so I know it was infected with insects there. I'm obviously taking it back tomorrow, but I wonder how unusual this is. Anybody?

BTW, while i'm at it, how does this look as a crush? :D

You have weevils. It's quite normal. Vacuum seal it if you can, that'll kill 'em. Otherwise, use it ASAP (proteins increase head retention). The store might take it back, but I kinda doubt it.

The crush looks a bit coarse, but it's usable.

I've never had the problem (that I know of) but wouldn't think twice about using it - tis just a bit of protein. Plus, after an hour's boil - how much could really be left?

Used to have those same critters in my wheat flour and boxed cereal when I first moved to this house. They're a bit unnerving, and no good at all in Grape Nuts :D ...but harmless.

cool. I'm not too bothered by the idea, it's just the first time I've noticed. Guess I won't be needing that carafa for head retention after all. :D

Insects: Proof that no mammal is truly vegetarian ('cuz they eat insects unintentionally all the time! he he!)

hmmm, if that is a course crush, I may ask my LHBS to drop the spacing from .41 to maybe .38?

I have had grain over a year and not seen any of those buggers. I wonder how your LHBS stores their grain.

I had some once from the LHBS. But they warned me about it before I bought the grain. Used it anyway. Turned out just fine.

I have had grain over a year and not seen any of those buggers. I wonder how your LHBS stores their grain.

All of the specialty grains are kept in 6.5 gallon buckets with sealing lids, but the base malts (2-row, pale, maris) are in big, plastic-lined cardboard drums with loose-fitting lids.

I'm going to call just to inform them of the issue. They don't open until 10AM.

Let's see...if I freeze the grist how much hotter will my strike water need to be. :p

I called the LHBS and they thanked me for letting them know, but it was an issue they were aware of. Apparently this is often a problem "this time of year" and they deal with it by dropping a big hunk of dry ice on top of the grain and close the lid. All the buggies suffocate.

Once again, CO2 really is a brewer's best friend.

I called the LHBS and they thanked me for letting them know, but it was an issue they were aware of. Apparently this is often a problem "this time of year" and they deal with it by dropping a big hunk of dry ice on top of the grain and close the lid. All the buggies suffocate.

Once again, CO2 really is a brewer's best friend.

Yes, but that doesn't kill the eggs. -5°F will...

I would just use it. First off, the mash will kill the bugs. Second, you're leaving the grain, husks, carcasses behind thanks to your manifold. Finally, you're boiling anything else off for an hour.

My last batch, as soon as I added the strike water to my cooler, some funk washed out of the back of the valve. Based on the three things I mentioned above, I didn't do a damn thing about it.

I suggested freezing it not because of their effect on the beer, but they may cross-infect your storage and supplies at home. I've had tiny mites in my bird and hamster food and they are difficult to get rid of. Now, I put (and store) all grains in the freezer as soon as they get home. Haven't had a problem since.

Latest posts

Back