Airlock cloudy and cider-y.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bean5446

Reaction score
Well, I woke up this morning and found that my airlock on the big carboy is all cloudy and yellowy with cider and some residue. My question is, should I clean it out today and refill it with clean vodka? Or should I leave it alone? It's not solid cider, just the mass of foam on top is making its way up into the airlock. I guess it's a sign of good fermentation. :)

I would clean it.

I have never used vodka in the airlock. I might try dilute vodka in an airlock, but I'd rather save the vodka.

I usually dilute a few drops of bleach or sanitizer in a cup of water, and use that mix.

Well, I definitley think I'll pull it off and clean it. Seems as though I have enough positive pressure to not worry too muhc about outside air getting in there while I sanitze the airlock. Thanks!

Yeah you should be fine to just clean it, as mentioned. I have even let airlocks sit with overflow in them with no troubles. Although it is a risk going that route. The time you have to be careful is if something gets sucked back in, like if you have a plastic carboy and squeeze it when you move it.

Latest posts

Back