What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392936568.976974.jpg CCB Hopped on the High Seas, dry-hopped with experimental #529. Brewed in Puerto Rico, dry-hopped on the cargo ship to Florida and packaged in Tampa.

Are all of the Hopped on the high seas done like that?

Yep... Hence the name. The real story is that they contracted with a brewery in Puerto Rico because of space issues in Tampa. They then decided to dry hop the beers along the way in their refrigerated tanks. Pretty awesome if you ask me!

If he left the wort on the grain, I'd agree. But if he collects it in the kettle & sparges then I don't think the wort would sour in the kettle.

I don't think it matters if it's left on the grain or not. After all, when sparging you're rinsing everything that's on the grain off and into the kettle. I think what matters is the temperature. If it's not hot enough to kill the unwanted organisms on the grain, then they will be doing some work during that 24 hour period he's waiting before boiling. I would think that's long enough to get noticeable lactic sourness. But I'm no expert.

Yep... Hence the name. The real story is that they contracted with a brewery in Puerto Rico because of space issues in Tampa. They then decided to dry hop the beers along the way in their refrigerated tanks. Pretty awesome if you ask me!

You beat me to it. I think it's pretty awesome as well, but I'm a homer :D

Was going to ferment with Conan but I'm going to try an English strain on my DIPA.

Water with Italian food.

Fin, I got your box but I haven't even had a moment to open it! I will though.
Drinking water, about to go grab a beer. Had a Miller's Toll and Hell Yes Ma'am earlier while getting gas. :D

:off:
I just read myself into confusion. I racked my beer into a keg, added about 20 PSI, released it, did that three more times. Then turned the regulator up to 30 PSI and put the keg in the fridge while the CO2 tank, regulator, and manifold are all on. By tomorrow I should have carbonated beer, right? I know I have to relieve the pressure then turn it back up to 10-12 PSI. But I keep seeing how I should be connected to the liquid connect and not the gas for this?

The keg was room temp, the beer was room temp, everything is in the fridge now. Or tell me to start a newbie thread and I'll do that. :eek:

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392939334.148824.jpg Hop Nosh. Unita just arrived in fl, what beers, if any, should I be on the lookout for?

Drinking water, about to go grab a beer. Had a Miller's Toll and Hell Yes Ma'am earlier while getting gas. :D

I just read myself into confusion. I racked my beer into a keg, added about 20 PSI, released it, did that three more times. Then turned the regulator up to 30 PSI and put the keg in the fridge while the CO2 tank, regulator, and manifold are all on. By tomorrow I should have carbonated beer, right? I know I have to relieve the pressure then turn it back up to 10-12 PSI. But I keep seeing how I should be connected to the liquid connect and not the gas for this?

The keg was room temp, the beer was room temp, everything is in the fridge now. Or tell me to start a newbie thread and I'll do that. :eek:

You want the beer cold for the co2 to dissolve into it. I normally sit at 30psi for 48hrs after it's down to fridge temps and then drop down to 10psi, but ymmv. Doesn't have to be connected to the liquid line, but that can speed the process up a little.

Drinking Mtn Dew while prepping to roast my first batch of home roasted coffee and then I'm gonna throw together some hand picked/squeezed lemon skeeter pee

I don't think it matters if it's left on the grain or not. After all, when sparging you're rinsing everything that's on the grain off and into the kettle. I think what matters is the temperature. If it's not hot enough to kill the unwanted organisms on the grain, then they will be doing some work during that 24 hour period he's waiting before boiling. I would think that's long enough to get noticeable lactic sourness. But I'm no expert.

I was thinking a mash out of 170 would pretty much denature the enzymes and stop any further work.

Wow. Looks like Ive got two bottles. Sorry for the double pic.

Sent from a dark place in the corner of my mind....

You want the beer cold for the co2 to dissolve into it. I normally sit at 30psi for 48hrs after it's down to fridge temps and then drop down to 10psi, but ymmv. Doesn't have to be connected to the liquid line, but that can speed the process up a little.

Drinking Mtn Dew while prepping to roast my first batch of home roasted coffee and then I'm gonna throw together some hand picked/squeezed lemon skeeter pee

Okay. It's at 25 now in the fridge. I'll bump it when it's cold.
Thanks for putting up with my off topic crap. I'm naturally annoying.
Drinking a shake chocolate porter on nitro.

I was thinking a mash out of 170 would pretty much denature the enzymes and stop any further work.

thanks for the help mark

ive decided to just get everything together so i can start heating up the strike water water when i get home.... i wont risk it to save about an hour of work

onto some sam adams rebel ipa... eh it was cold

Pumpkin buffalo sweat, bottled this year not last. Carb is starting to show. My basement stays cool so itll take a few more weeks. Still a good beer if i do say so. this was batch # 11 ever so im proud of my progress!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392940652.472912.jpg

Purge with co2 then fill. Then put in kegerator overnight to chill the beer. The colder it is the better it will absorb the co2. Then add gas and ramp up to 30 for a couple days. You should be good. You'll most likely have to wait a bit longer for it to carb not chilling first but all is good. Trial and error!

Purge with co2 then fill. Then put in kegerator overnight to chill the beer. The colder it is the better it will absorb the co2. Then add gas and ramp up to 30 for a couple days. You should be good. You'll most likely have to wait a bit longer for it to carb not chilling first but all is good. Trial and error!

Can I pull a pint tomorrow night just to "test" it?

Okay. It's at 25 now in the fridge. I'll bump it when it's cold.
Thanks for putting up with my off topic crap. I'm naturally annoying.
Drinking a shake chocolate porter on nitro.

Cold crash your beers a couple of days before you keg that way they are ready to accept the gas.

I think James Spenser of Basic Brewing did something on this. I believe that the experimental take on that was mash, spurge and then bring the wort to a brief (couple of minute) boil to pasturize and the cover. That should kill anything from the grains.

Can I pull a pint tomorrow night just to "test" it?

You can always pull a pint! They joys of a generator.... Just like the 'tester' bottle.

Cruddy week. Starting on the left, finishing on the right. Go good for the first glass, okay there on in.

1392941562912.jpg

You are correct sir!

Maybe 170 will be enough to kill the bacteria but I don't think it will. The enzyme yes. Bacteria probably not.

Sent from desk of Hedly Lamar. Thats HEDLY!

1392941838836.jpg

You can start pulling them now if you want, wont be as good and might slow the process down but it;s not like when you started brewing and you wanted to look, touch, taste it, you're not going to hurt it now.

Well yanno, I'm obviously impatient. :)

Thanks allenH as well. Cold crashing is definitely in order.

More shake chocolate porter.

That's true, but I wouldn't be worried about the enzymes. I'd be worried about the wild yeast that was on the grains surviving in the wort and starting to sour it while waiting a day for the boil. Now, if it was boiled briefly to sanitize before waiting that would work.

Back