To batch sparge first AG!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoplobster

Reaction score
I'm going to be brewing first thing in the morning and I think I'm ok, but I would appreciate some last minute advice.

Mashing approx. 6 lbs of grain for a batch sparge @ 1.25 qts/lb. I've got the volumes figured out but I'm looking for some advice on temps for the mash and sparge. This is going to be a 3.5 to 4 gallon collection, I plan to boil it down by about .5 gallons... My stove can't seem to boil more than 4 gallons :)

This is what I've got planned... I'm brewing a scotch ale (I toyed with the sample recipe in beersmith, LHBS guy helped tweek) and am shooting for a 155 degree mash temp in my 5 gallon round cooler w/ SS braid setup so I used this calc http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml and it says 171 degress should hit my target temp to hold for the mash. I'll be pre heating the tun and it makes sense to me. I plan on draining and then finishing the batch sparge @ 175 degress.

Sound good?

16 to 18° sounds about right to get to your temperature. It is easier to cool the mash with some ice cubes than to heat it with water additions so if it is a bit high I always cool it that way.

Back