OOPS - please help - I added priming sugar too early

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enjoyandre

Reaction score
Hoping someone can offer some 'did I ruin it' advice

I did a wort for an amber dos equis style beer from a kit a couple of days ago, but I accidentally dropped the priming sugar into the wort at the same time as the yeast - before I closed it up in the fermenter (I know I needed to wait until I bottle it, but I had a ******* moment)

so my question is twofold

1 - did I completely ruin the wort?

2 - if not, then do I need to add MORE priming sugar when I bottle it?

thanks in advance

It'll be fine! The amount of priming sugar really is negligible in a 5 gallon batch, so don't worry about it! You'll have maybe .25% more ABV, that's the only difference.

You'll have to add priming sugar when you bottle, since the sugar you added now will be fermented out. If you don't have any more priming sugar, you could either buy some or just use table sugar in its place.

Ruined, no... You added a little extra sugar, so you will be boosting the alc % by .5% or so. You will need to add 5 oz of sugar at bottling time (assuming a 5 gallon batch).

dang, yooper beat me.

Local brew store will sell corn sugar aka priming sugar conveniently packaged as a 5oz bag. Less than $2 pretty cheap.

Back