Visiting Plano, TX...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lgaddy44

Reaction score
I'll be visiting Plano, TX for a weekend soon, and was hoping for some good suggestions on where to go. No, I'm not talking about historic landmarks and tourist attractions, I'm interested in good food and drink.

What are the local spots with with a respectable food and beer menu? What is that ONE place that you tell everyone, "You have to try this place!"

Visting my BIL, so this will be strictly a "boys night out" weekend extravaganza...wolfpack style :rockin:

Are you looking to go outside of Plano? Franconia in McKinney does brewery tours on Saturdays at 11. If want suggestions in Dallas, I can help.

The Holy Grail Pub and The Gingerman are pretty good beer bars if you're in north plano.

I'll second Holy Grail Pub and The Gingerman. One of my favorite places to eat is called Whiskey Cake. It has great food, a good choice of craft beer and the scenery isn't too bad either...;)

If you want to do a beer tour Saturday check out Lakewood Brewing Company or Deep Ellum Brewing Company. You can't go wrong with one of the aforementioned food/beer joints. There's also Goodfriend Beer Garden and Burger, just wait until after 4 to go.

Here are some of my favorite places in Dallas, more or less within 30 minutes of Plano

Beer:
The Common Table (Uptown)
The Meddlesome Moth (Design District) rated #1 beer bar in the world
The Gingerman (Uptown location has a lot more character than the one in Plano, but probably the same beers)
Goodfriend (Lakewood/White Rock Lake area) amazing burgers
Flying Saucer (Addison, so a bit closer than most of these others)

Tours:
Peticolas Brewing Company - easily my favorite DFW brewery; first and third Saturdays from 1:00 to 3:00
Four Corners - third Saturdays from 6:00 to 9:00

If you want to do a beer tour Saturday check out Lakewood Brewing Company or Deep Ellum Brewing Company. You can't go wrong with one of the aforementioned food/beer joints. There's also Goodfriend Beer Garden and Burger, just wait until after 4 to go.

Goodfriend is awesome. My brother owns the coffee shop that's next door and they make some incredible coffee. I think they were awarded best coffee in Dallas from the Dallas Observer recently.

/end shameless plug :)

The Flying Saucer is also awesome, it's one of the few places I miss from Dallas.

Thanks for all the input. I've already ran a couple of the suggestions by the BIL, and thankfully, he's been to a few of them, and agrees of the quality.

Looking forward to the good times. I may even have to look into some of those brewery tours. I live a few minutes away from Flying Dog, and they usually keep a full schedule, booking up months in advance. It'd be nice to check out another brewery.

Deep Ellum Brewing is great. Their new head brewer is from Dogfish Head, and their former head is from St. Louis. The original recipes where solid, and have been improved upon.

Back