Beer for my wife?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

addis29

Reaction score
I started this obsession last january and can't get enough of it. The problem is that it requires a lot of my time and money. Here is the real problem everything I brew (which I love) my wife hates. If I don't make something she will like I can see this obsession slowly fading away into nothing, HELP ME. Anyone have any sure fire recipes for a wife that hates homebrew. When she drinks, it's normally bud light or bud light with lime. I can't lager so that kidna hurts there.

What about one of those fruity hefes?

How about a kolsch? I've yet to have a heavy kolsch. Might be acceptable for a BMC-lite drinker.

My suggestion is to make amends to her in other arenas. She wants ear rings...get them....for her to wear out to dinner after your double brew day. She wants a nice dress....let her pick it out while you go to the LBS....then show up and pay for the thing. Make yourself aware of what where and how the G-spot is!
But don't waste your time and money and brew sessions making some beer that she isn't going to like anyway, and likely won't drink much of it even if she does!

When My wife finds this post (and she will!).....Love you honey.....We thinking of Diamonds?

most likely she is scared of bitter beers.
so stick with those with more gentle hop profiles.

thinking, Irish Red ale, 60 schilling, mild brown ales
also ease up on dry hopping, the nose can turn her away.

Now the bigger question? Why do you feel you hobby has to be enjoyed by your wife? Sure it would be nice if she encouraged it but part of being a couple is also being yourself. Brew beer you know you'll enjoy. Brewing is YOUR time.

I'm lucky, my wife really likes dark beers. Not so much bitter ones. (but slowly i'm getting her over) even made an IPA she enjoyed. I do tend to brew when she's not around. It's the mess in the kitchen she isn't thrilled about. Moving my brewing to the back yard helped a lot with that.

or, clean the toilets before you brew a batch. What woman is going to bust your balls for brewing if the toilets get cleaned before you do it. Next think you know, a few weeks go by and she'll be asking if you have time to brew this weekend. (of course she wants you to do the toilet but you still win)

I think I understand what your all saying "Screw the wife" this is my time and I'll brew what I want. How bout you explain that G-spot thing to me though. Thanks guys

I had the exact same problem and this is how i fixed it. Raspberry, Cherry and Apricot wheats - Strawberry Blond Ale and Ciders like Apfelwein and a couple others. Just check out the Cider section in the recipe database there are some good ones that are really easy and cheap to make. In fact i rarely secondary any beers anymore so i pretty much only use my 5 gallon carboy to make ciders for my wife.

Raspberry (insert her favorite fruit flavor) wheat. Since wheats are often served with a lemon slice, lime would work as well. Easy to make and there are several dried wheat yeasts available.

I think thats what I'll do try some flavored wheats. Haven't done any ciders, but probably should to soothe her over.

Let's remember just because your a woman doesn't mean you'll like fruity beers, my SWMBO doesn't like fruit in her beer. I believe some of the woman on here would be offended if you offered them fruity beers just because they are female. Try a mild or something that way if she doesn't like it you can still drink it. Not everyone likes beer she just might be one of those people, maybe she likes wine? You could always make a couple of batches of wine if she does. Otherwise don't worry about it I'm sure she has hobbies too?

The raspberry wheat is a good suggestion.

I brew a blonde for my wife that is 10lbs of two row and 2 pounds of honey malt. Hallertauer hops and ferment with US-05 just under 65F.

My wife doesn't mind when I brew, because the kitchen gets nice and clean. Once I found that secret out, I always make sure to clean extra well and make her happy. Screw the toilets. That's what I married her for!

My wife doesn't like beer and I won't brew to try and make her like it. She did taste my apfelwein again the other day and said she'd drink that. Ok, not a glowing review, but better than the faces she makes when she tastes my beer.

Back