Gumballhead/Raging ***** Hybrid recipe. Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noslenwerd

Reaction score
Lately my new thing has been has been mixing beers of different, but closely related styles. One day I mixed half of a Three Floyds Gumballhead (American Pale Wheat Ale) with half of a Flying Dog Raging ***** (Belgian IPA). On their own their are two of my favorite beers, but together it was phenomenal. Which is why my new mission is to brew a beer that tastes like what I had this weekend.

There werent set in stone recipes for either beer on the internet. I pretty much took the aggregate of the recipes I found for each beer, narrowed it down to two master recipes (one for each), then split each in half and combined them. The only real major change I decided to make was to use some citra hops in the mix (only because I love citra hops). Wanted to use a belgian yeast to get that belgian mouthfeel so I stuck with the 1388. I do realize this will not taste like a 50/50 split due to the yeast, but I would rather it have more of a belgian kick to it.

Below is an image of each recipe on their own, followed by the combined recipe. I am going to brew this on Sunday. Any feedback on the final recipe below would be appreciated. (sorry was too lazy to type this all up just took a screen shot).

EDIT: *** Revised recipe as of 3/10

nvnl83.png

:mug:

seems pretty reasonable for splicing recipes, as far as splitting the difference and compromising where you need to. tell us how that turns out:mug:

just name it the pale french ***** who likes chocolate.

looks good. a pale american homebrew wheat? is that a phwale?

btw, ain't'nt no such thing as a B.I.P.A. (tm) (grin). do you really need the candi sugar if you up the caravienne and crystal?

Lately my new thing has been has been mixing beers of different, but closely related styles. One day I mixed half of a Three Floyds Gumballhead (American Pale Wheat Ale) with half of a Flying Dog Raging ***** (Belgian IPA). On their own their are two of my favorite beers, but together it was phenomenal. Which is why my new mission is to brew a beer that tastes like what I had this weekend.

There werent set in stone recipes for either beer on the internet. I pretty much took the aggregate of the recipes I found for each beer, narrowed it down to two master recipes (one for each), then split each in half and combined them. The only real major change I decided to make was to use some citra hops in the mix (only because I love citra hops). Wanted to use a belgian yeast to get that belgian mouthfeel so I stuck with the 1388.

Below is an image of each recipe on their own, followed by the combined recipe. I am going to brew this on Sunday. Any feedback on the final recipe below would be appreciated. (sorry was too lazy to type this all up just took a screen shot).

14tpikx.jpg

**Forgot to mention.. dry hopping with .75oz of Citra hop as well.

:mug:

hmmmm..... good idea or bad idea?? I just have a feeling you're not going to get the mix you experienced before.

I would be apt to say brew two separate batches and blend them once finished. Fermenting the entire batch with the 1388 is not going to give you the same perception as a mix of something fermented with 1388 blended with something fermented with wlp001 or 1056 or 05. Let us know how it turns out.

Why the wide variance with the efficiency rate?

hmmmm..... good idea or bad idea?? I just have a feeling you're not going to get the mix you experienced before.

I would be apt to say brew two separate batches and blend them once finished. Fermenting the entire batch with the 1388 is not going to give you the same perception as a mix of something fermented with 1388 blended with something fermented with wlp001 or 1056 or 05. Let us know how it turns out.

Why the wide variance with the efficiency rate?

I posted up a new recipe above btw.

I do realize the taste will be a bit different as to the yeast strain, but I am willing to take my chances. I would rather err on the side of the belgianish flavors, than the pale wheat IPA.

The first two recipes were pulled from the internet and i just pulled the efficiency rates from there. I am using my friends equipment for all grain and he said he typically gets 80%-85% efficiency (for the hybrid recipe).

Okay so the brewing went well.. smelled amazing. Was a little low on my OG but only by .006

Anyone have experience with smack packs/wyeast? This was my first time using either, and am a bit concerned as it is now 24 hours after i added the beer to the fermenting bucket, and there is no activity going on :(

Okay so the brewing went well.. smelled amazing. Was a little low on my OG but only by .006

Anyone have experience with smack packs/wyeast? This was my first time using either, and am a bit concerned as it is now 24 hours after i added the beer to the fermenting bucket, and there is no activity going on :(

i have used them and it took a while to get started, but the kinda rule of thumb is to not worry too much untill 72 hours. then if it hasn't started, take a gravity reading to make sure it didnt just ferment with out really showing visible signs of fermentation. also its suggested to make a starter for liquid yeast. (yours should still work, but that could be why its taking longer than you want it too)

Rhanks rycov. This is only my 4th batch, but have always had activity after the first 24 hours. Hopefully all turns out well.

Back