Home Depot Kegerator Sale TODAY Only

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should be able to fit at least two cornies in there. Probably two 5 gallon and maybe a 3 gallon on the hump.

It will need a new tower with two or three taps. Adding a splitter onto the gas line is a no brainer.

Not to horrible a price, I guess. Best bet would be to wait until after the holidays. If they have one in the store, they will sell it cheap.

:mug:

Read the reviews and they look terrible.

I have been actively shopping for a kegerator myself. Walmart has one at $297.

HbgBill said:
THIS. The reviews are split.. price seems great.

I bought a Danby with the SS door for 339, I added longer serving line and changed the hook ups to the screw on type so I can swap between homebrew kegs and commercial with ease! Good buy.

I want to upgrade the faucet also lol

$300??? For that price most people should be able to get a large chest freezer or fridge off of CL and convert it into a 3-6 tap (corny kegs) kegerator. I could only see this as being a good deal if you have zero skills with basic tools or need a slightly smaller footprint.

My last kegorator I had over 700 into it :0 and the freezer was free lol. I vowed next one would be turn key with minor upgrades and would be kept in the house vice the garage. I would bet you could not build one for cheaper (than 300) using new parts. I would bet if you shopped smart you could ring in right at 300 minus labor.

It looks like the older version was better than the current one. The recent reviews are all bad (one star for the 2012 reviews). I agree that you can probably build a better system for $300 (without kegs) without much effort.

BTW, anyone else notice it comes with a 2.5# CO2 tank? :eek: Plus the cheap faucet doesn't help. Not to mention it doesn't say what the tower is made from (chrome plated metal or plastic?)...

I actually have that one, add the tax and you got it for the same price I did. No complaints here. I didn't buy it from home depot but my brother in law and I both have them. It took me about 10 minutes to convert it to corny. The only problem is it comes with a smaller gas tank and a crappy gas line. No problem though go to your local brewing supply store and they could help, they usually have the parts in stock to change it over, extra gas lines, and a little bigger gas tank.

If the temp not going low enough is the biggest problem then it is probably like the one I had a few months back that just needed the thermostat "hacked". It was a simple procedure of removing a cover and manually turning a screw. I actually drilled through the cover so that any further adjustment could be done without taking anything apart.

If that is the biggest problem and the same applies, it's a good deal.

The reviews that complained about the compressor are what would worry me. Seems like it would barely work as a fridge.

The Danby fridges are running around $180. A 2 tap tower pre-built is $100 if you already have a CO2 tank.

If you plan to have 2 corny kegs in it, you'll need a different tap tower in it anyway, and different connections. The hoses will probably need to be lengthened. So basically its $300 for a fridge with a pre-cut hole, and an old Sanke connection to use if you want to throw a commercial keg into it.

A good deal if you only want to do 1 commercial keg. For a homebrew setup, DIY provides the better option. I'm "non-handy" and even I did it in a couple of hours.

The reviews that complained about the compressor are what would worry me. Seems like it would barely work as a fridge.

The Danby fridges are running around $180. A 2 tap tower pre-built is $100 if you already have a CO2 tank.

If you plan to have 2 corny kegs in it, you'll need a different tap tower in it anyway, and different connections. The hoses will probably need to be lengthened. So basically its $300 for a fridge with a pre-cut hole, and an old Sanke connection to use if you want to throw a commercial keg into it.

A good deal if you only want to do 1 commercial keg. For a homebrew setup, DIY provides the better option. I'm "non-handy" and even I did it in a couple of hours.

Are there any good DIY links that show how to cut a hole in the top, seal it and then upgrade the mini fridge to a kegerator?

I bought the Walmart one for $297. The Amazon reviews in 2012 are pretty clear to avoid the old bad reviews from 2007ish. People are saying that it stays cooler these days. Plus someone gave specs on how to manually override the temp gauge down to the low 30s.

I had already bought a conversion kit from kegconnection from their BF sale. But then a lot of the old mainstay mini fridges are discontinued and the new options (like Danby 400bl) have some minor issues with conversion.

So clearly I don't think this is the cheapest option but $297 for the unit plus $180 for the all S/S conversion kit from KC, I hopefully should get exactly what I want out of it.

All the ice chests have had super low price points but it is a space issue. A lot of people don't have the space for the ice chest. Plus this has casters so it can be brought outside for parties. I personally think it is the best of all worlds.

Are there any good DIY links that show how to cut a hole in the top, seal it and then upgrade the mini fridge to a kegerator?

Yes. For the Danby - this thread has some good information.

One link that shows the actual conversion:
http://www.thegatesofdawn.ca/wordpress/homebrewing/kegerator/

This is the link that I followed, has lots of good pictures and shows exactly where to drill the whole with the correct Danby model:
https://plus.google.com/photos/114416612335287313960/albums/5257362427552313025?banner=pwa&gpsrc=pwrd1#photos/114416612335287313960/albums/5257362427552313025?banner=pwa&gpsrc=pwrd1

If you do the danby conversion, read the last page in teh HBT thread I linked to first. They have changed the door, so you can't just pop off the inside piece. Need to make some cuts and seal those cuts. Not hard, just need to know what to look for.

Latest posts

Back