First time kegging. Head retention question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingfan13

Reaction score
First time kegging. I use the set it and forget it method and set my PSI to around 11. I put two kegs in. I had one 5 gallon brew in a corny and one 2.5 gallon brew in a corny. It has been 2 full weeks and both beers taste fully carbed (or close) but neither retain head.

The head is fine when the beer first comes out but quickly disappears. Any idea what the issue is ? Not enough time ?

I think the issue probably has more to do with your recipe than the kegging process. Certain grains are better than others at retaining head. In my experience, if you are brewing with only extract, your beer will have no head retention to speak of. Tell us a little bit about your brew process. Do you steep or mash any specialty grains? Stuff like Carapils?

I think the issue probably has more to do with your recipe than the kegging process. Certain grains are better than others at retaining head. In my experience, if you are brewing with only extract, your beer will have no head retention to speak of. Tell us a little bit about your brew process. Do you steep or mash any specialty grains? Stuff like Carapils?

One was all grain and the other mini mash. I have brewed the mini mash before and had plenty of head. I mean this looks like uncarbed wort after a few sips.

I mean this looks like uncarbed wort after a few sips.

You said earlier that it tasted well carbed, but was just losing head fast. If the beer is less than ideally carbonated quickly after pouring, it's likely an issue with your line balancing. If it loses the head quickly but stays carbonated it's likely a recipe issue, or something oily got into the beer somehow. How long are your beverage lines and what size are they?

You said earlier that it tasted well carbed, but was just losing head fast. If the beer is less than ideally carbonated quickly after pouring, it's likely an issue with your line balancing. If it's stays carbonated but loses the head quickly it's likely a recipe issue, or something oily got into the beer somehow. How long are your beverage lines and what size are they?

5 feet and 3/16. I have brewed these beers before and bottled with no issues.

5 feet and 3/16. I have brewed these beers before and bottled with no issues.

My best guess is a line balancing issue. The short lines may not be providing sufficient resistance resulting in a large portion of the CO2 getting knocked out of solution during the pour. Try longer lines (like 10') and see if it helps.

How many volumes were you carbing to when you were bottling? If you were using the 5 oz bags of priming sugar that come in a lot of kits, your beers were probably carbed to ~2.8 vol. Assuming you keep your kegerator above freezing, 11 psi will result in lower carbonation levels than that.

My best guess is a line balancing issue. The short lines may not be providing sufficient resistance resulting in a large portion of the CO2 getting knocked out of solution during the pour. Try longer lines (like 10') and see if it helps.

How many volumes were you carbing to when you were bottling? If you were using the 5 oz bags of priming sugar that come in a lot of kits, your beers were probably carbed to ~2.8 vol. Assuming you keep your kegerator above freezing, 11 psi will result in lower carbonation levels than that.

Yeah, I was just using the 5oz priming sugar bags. I have to go check the temp my refrigerator is at and see if maybe I need to adjust there. Thanks for the help and it looks like I will be getting some 10foot lines just to be safe.

Yeah, I was just using the 5oz priming sugar bags. I have to go check the temp my refrigerator is at and see if maybe I need to adjust there. Thanks for the help and it looks like I will be getting some 10foot lines just to be safe.

How did you decide on 11 psi without knowing the beer temp? I suggest using a chart like this one to find the correct pressure for a given combination of temperature and desired carbonation level.

Since no one has said it already, make sure to handwash and beer clean your pint glasses. There is a considerable difference for me when I forget and just pull them out of the washer. If you're already doing this just ignore! Cheers.

How did you decide on 11 psi without knowing the beer temp? I suggest using a chart like this one to find the correct pressure for a given combination of temperature and desired carbonation level.

I trusted the temp range the fridge manual gave me for
Where I had the dial set to. I did use a chart to try to get the right co2 level.

I have. Thermometer in there right now and am going to check it soon to see where I am at.

I'm at 39 degrees. According to that chart I am right where I need ti be. Looks like I will try the 10 foot lines.

Try adding a pound of oats or wheat to the recipe. I usually do and I get great retention and lacing.

Back