skunked beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rstewy2

Reaction score
I have had a few skunked beers before, but this is a new one for me. I opened up a SNPA, poured it and drank some. Tasted pretty damned good (as it usually does) took it outside and as I was drinking it, over less than a 10 minute period, it skunked. I actually noticed it getting a little bit skunky. It continued to skunk more and more. (Still drinkable at this point)

I headed inside hoping the beer would remain drinkable. With a couple sips left, I could no longer stand it.

Now I'm sitting here confused, having skunky burps, and wondering how this could happen in the few minutes I was drinking.

Anyone else ever have this happen?

Skunking can occur very quickly...we have had quite a few threads lately on this, trying to determine how quickly is the main issue at hand. Also, people will have different taste/smell thresholds for the skunking molecule. It appears yours is very low.

Unfortunately, it seems you should try consuming your beers in the summer in under 600 seconds! I'd never thought I would have to put a timer on consuming beer outside

PS- I hate that video...worst "science" experiment I've seen...who covers their beer in plastic wrap on a hot day for 45 minutes?

I definitely agree that their experiment was a little odd with the saran wrap. But it does show that the effect is very quick.

I don't think I would mind finishing my beer in 600 seconds or less as long as I have a few more on hand so I'm not left empty handed. Other possibility is that I could leave it in the bottle. This won't work for all homebrew, but drinking a bit of sediment is preferable to drinking a skunk.

Back