Is this infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NOISEpollution

Reaction score
These white bubbles have shown up in my past few batches. I think it's brett. Haven't noticed any problems with flavor.

image-3913271079.jpg

Looks like it to me. The white scum in the bottom and that scum bubble in the top look like the beginnings of a pellicle to me.

These white bubbles have shown up in my past few batches. I think it's brett. Haven't noticed any problems with flavor.

the two longer 'rafts' right on the edge of the bucket in the bottom of the pic look odd to me as well. it's really hard to tell w/small intertron pics, so i don't wanna scare ya and claim i can tell it's contaminated, but if that was on one of my brews i'd be a bit worried. you say it doesn't taste infected when this has happened in a previous batch? how long has that last batch(s) been packaged?

NordeastBrewer77 said:
the two longer 'rafts' right on the edge of the bucket in the bottom of the pic look odd to me as well. it's really hard to tell w/small intertron pics, so i don't wanna scare ya and claim i can tell it's contaminated, but if that was on one of my brews i'd be a bit worried. you say it doesn't taste infected when this has happened in a previous batch? how long has that last batch(s) been packaged?
Well, the first batch it happened in wasn't great but I blame that more on me just throwing together some random grains and hops and calling it a beer. The second batch was a hefeweizen. The white stuff appeared after 3 weeks. Kegged it after 4 months. Finished the keg about 2 weeks later and everyone that's tried my beers agreed that was my best batch yet.

What worries me is that I pitched this IPA with Trappist yeast and after tasting it it almost tastes like my hefeweizen with more hops. I wasn't expecting the yeast to produce this banana/bubble gum flavor.

the reason i ask is that a small level of infection can take time to make itself known. but it seems like at least one batch had some time (3+ months) after it first appeared.
i'd definitely replace your plastics after this, you can never be fully sure you got all the cr@p out of plastic, and it may keep popping back up.

The second batch was a hefeweizen. The white stuff appeared after 3 weeks. Kegged it after 4 months. Finished the keg about 2 weeks later and everyone that's tried my beers agreed that was my best batch yet.

You kegged a hefeweizen after four months?!?!?! I'm assuming you meant four weeks. Otherwise, that beer MIGHT have been past its prime. :p

If it wasn't for that weirdness in the lower portion it may just be yeast rafting. Thats sucks, but I would do what the others are saying and replace that fermenter. Sanitize all your brew gear real good before next brew and I'm sure it will all be ok.

In the mean time if you dont mind the taste, buckle down... :rockin:

Haha, yeah, I meant 4 weeks.

Will I need to replace my autosiphon, hoses, airlocks, etc or just the buckets? Also should I replace the lines and disconnects in the kegerator since it touched those too or will sanitizer do? How about the keg?

Or... just clean them with bleach/water after each batch. Then Star-san before use.

Gary

that'll work too, but if it were me, i'd first replace any plastics that came or may have come into contact with an infected brew; airlocks, bungs, buckets, serving lines, etc. all the keg seals too, you don't want any of that staying around your beer. and then yeah, bleach is a great idea. just use a diluted solution, rinse very well, and star san before use. :mug:

Better than safe than sorry, I wouldn't harvest from an infected batch....but that may just be me.

For those that have used bleach, what dilution rates are you using? I have seen anywhere from a few T to a cup per 5 gallons.

Say this batch is infected but I keg it and it still tastes good. Will drinking it make me sick or will infection only affect the taste, aroma, etc?

Say this batch is infected but I keg it and it still tastes good. Will drinking it make me sick or will infection only affect the taste, aroma, etc?

you won't get sick from an infected beer. there are styles of beer that are infected intentionally.

Better than safe than sorry, I wouldn't harvest from an infected batch....but that may just be me.

For those that have used bleach, what dilution rates are you using? I have seen anywhere from a few T to a cup per 5 gallons.

I had a recent batch that MAY have been infected. I replaced my siphon hoses and bleach bombed everything else that comes in contact with wort post boil. I used a heavy cup per 5 gallons. You have to really rinse the hell out of it with really hot water afterwards though.

Alright thanks guys. Should I not bother harvesting the yeast from this batch?

For your infected batches did you use harvested yeast? Did you harvest yeast from a possibly infected batch and use it in your current batch?

That would be important info.

Also, are you really going to serve that to your friends? I don't care if it tastes good that beer is wretched. Picture a filthy kitchen and refrigerator at a restaurant. The food might taste fine to the customers, but if they saw how dirty the kitchen was they would walk out.

Also, are you really going to serve that to your friends? I don't care if it tastes good that beer is wretched. Picture a filthy kitchen and refrigerator at a restaurant. The food might taste fine to the customers, but if they saw how dirty the kitchen was they would walk out.

:confused:

pathogens will not live in beer.

the beer won't hurt you, make you sick or anything like that. it may taste like Satan's ar$e, but it won't hurt anything. :mug:

:confused:

the beer won't hurt you, make you sick or anything like that. it may taste like Satan's ar$e, but it won't hurt anything. :mug:

Exactly. No pathogens in beer. I was just saying that some lambic beers etc may make someone honk just because of the taste, and have nothing to do with anything but the beer itself. We all have one. Stag Beer is another beer that comes to mind. :drunk:

sideImageDefault.png

Exactly. No pathogens in beer. I was just saying that some lambic beers etc may make someone honk just because of the taste, and have nothing to do with anything but the beer itself. We all have one. Stagg is another beer that comes to mind. :drunk:

oh yeah, it may totally smell foul... maybe even make a throw up a little in your mouth. but nothing compared to what a dirty restaurant kitchen could do if you eat food from it. :mug:

Back