Is it infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tchuklobrau

Reaction score
had 2 batches of beer that ended up with a horrible nasty flavor that even months of aging could not get rid of. Only thing in common was the fermenter used. However I have made 3 batches of wine in the same fermenter that have all come out fine, in between the bad beers. Is it possible to have bacteria of some sort in the fermenter that affects beer but does not affect wine?

green grass/chloriphyll. the 1st bad batch was a wet/ fresh hop ipa. like a moron i used wet hops in the 60 min boil so i had attributed this flavor to the errant use of wet hops through the whole boil. cleaned sanitized and made 3 different fruit wines in same fermenter. then made a big belgian quad. it came up with the same grassy flavor.

How old were the ingredients and were they stored properly?

Grassy
Flavors reminiscent of chlorophyll and fresh cut grass occasionally occur and are most often linked to poorly stored ingredients. Poorly stored malt can pick up moisture and develop musty smells. Aldehydes can form in old malt and can contribute green grass flavors. Hops are another source of these green flavors. If the hops are poorly stored or not properly dried prior to storage, the chlorophyll compounds will become evident in the beer.

How to Brew

other than fermenter grain was the only other consistant between the 2 beers. grain was stored in my basement. my basement is always dry, is it possible that if the container was not airtight the grain absorbed something from the air in the basement causing off flavor?

Wine is often fermented with yest that naturally occurs on the grapes. Thus wine can stand up to bacteria and natural yeast that would produce off flavors in beer. I would guess you have some type of natural yeast or bug in your fermenter.

Just made a small 1g beer and am using a glass carboy to find out if my grain is bad. if this turns out good i will assume the fermenter is now for wine only.

Back