Barnyard notes.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowtones84

Reaction score
So after talking to the wine and beer guy at a local very well stocked ethnic market, we have Saison Fantome around now. I've always kind of laughed at the tasting note of "barnyard notes" but now I understand. Around 55-58F and I'm totally getting that, and dig it :D

Anyone else get that, or can anyone else comment on other beers with barnyard notes, be they good or bad?

Hah, thanks! Pretty sure I've had beer with Brett in it before, but that was certainly the first time I got that particular sensation.

track down an Orval, it's fairly widely available. has some nice barnyardiness to it.

I get that with the Orval, but it's not as strong as with Fantome for me. Still, I had never had Orval before, and this is delicious! A lot of things going on, but still a -very- drinkable 6.9% beer. Thanks for the recommendation!

You should check out to themadfermentationist.com , this guy is on it. Also, pick up Jolly Pumpkin Bam Noire. Mine was nice and funky. And Bier de Mars from Ommegang. I just had a bottle of it from '09 last was sublime! Other worldly!!! Cheers!!

I live way out in the country and my neighbor raises beef cows. In the spring when the wind switches to the northwest I get barnyard notes all day. I don't think I want that in any of my beer. :p

I enjoy a good barnyard, but really dislike the tartness that a lot of those beers have. Any recommendations for a brett beer that is not sour?

I live way out in the country and my neighbor raises beef cows. In the spring when the wind switches to the northwest I get barnyard notes all day. I don't think I want that in any of my beer. :p

Haha, yeah, I don't think methane is part of the whole "barnyard notes" thing. At least I don't think so...:(

Latest posts

Back