"extract late" method

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ellie-ut

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone has given this a try. I am going to do an AIPA this weekend and want a very hoppy brew. They say to add the extract the last 15 minutes, wondering about doing a two step along with it, would it really make that much of a difference? I really would like a lighter beer to share with my hop head friends that scoff at the dark IPA's I make now. I think the two step is the only way I can get it lighter.

Any and all comments are appreciated!

I don't think you'll notice much colour change by doing a late addition, but it do tend to lighten it a little.
I wouldn't worry about what you friends tease you about as long as you enjoy your beer. Get you friends to make a lighter AIPA to "show" you how it is done, lol.

Ive done the late extract addition many times. Ive noticed better hop presence with it, but only minimal color differences. Im with boo boo on this one, dont worry about it as long as you enjoy the beer.

- magno

Nothing wrong with an IDA, unless you're a potato-head. Lighter colored extract would help more. If you are looking for a big hoppy nose, dry hopping is almost mandatory.

Use dry malt extract rather than liquid. Liquid darkens over time and loses flavor too. I'd add half my DME at the begining and half at the end to get good hop extraction.

I would think that it would be lighter as there would be less chance of any caramelization of the malt. You'll also get a better hop utilization.

You can also use rice. Steep the rice as you would grains and add that into the brew. Extra Light DME is your best bet too in conjunction with rice. You will get a light beer. Also aim for less alcohol. OGs of 40 or 39 usually end up @10 or 08 = 4% ABV. Consider this too if you do have a highly scoffable brew (not so high in alcohol), it disapears quickly (meaning you'll have long drinking sessions).

- WW

I understand that the "extract late" method is one of the most ineffective methods for preventing pregnancies.

Hope that helps.

But not as good as......"I thought you were STILL on the pill!!!!!" extraction methodology. I have a healthy 3 year old to prove it doesn't work....

I am laughing so hard at those last three posts.......

Thanks for the input. I am using

6.6 of muntuns extra light extract
1 lb crushed crystal 2 row 40-60L
Cascade 1 oz at 60
Cascade 1 oz at 15
Perle 1 oz at 5
Perle 1 oz dry hop secondary
Safale (I forget which number!)

Anyway, I think it will be a little darker than they like, but it will still have the flavor of a traditional AIPA I am hoping.

Yeah, tell them to come over and make beer. I get them to help bottle only cos they get to drink while we do it. But hot boiling pots on the stove just dont interest them at all.

got those hops backwards. Perle fist, then cascade

Anyway, I am doing it as I type. I steeped at 150 for 30 minutes. Then hops at the start of the boil, 60 min. Then boiled for 45 min, added extract, brought it back to boil in about 6 minutes and hopped (15 min) and (5) min

Did a 2 1/2 gal boil. It is no lighter than usual. We'll see if the hops flavor is better this way.

Its chilling right now......then aerate and pitch.

Latest posts

Back