WLP400 and sulphur

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lando

Reaction score
I think I fermented too low and the sulphur smell is HUGE in this beer. (hoegarrden clone) It is in bottles. Will this ever subside? Might have a dumper on my hands if not. It simply isnt drinkable.:confused:

Well, I've never had sulfur smells from that yeast, which I've used quite alot. But, with another yeast (I think it was a WL yeast blend, now I can't remember which one) was supposed to give off some sulfur and it did. After about two months in the bottle, it was good, not a trace of the sulfur. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Huh that's a little longer than I would normally expect that smell to stick around. But i would still give it some time and see what happens.

How did this turn out? What temp did you pitch and ferment at?

I'm reading all kinds of conflicting info on the belgian strains. Some say to pitch cold and keep the temp steady, other say pitch cold and ramp up the temp gently, others say to pitch high and ferment even higher than a typical ale strain (Brew Like a Monk book).

I did a Hoegaarden clone with with WLP 400 and I'm getting a strong sulphur smell out of the airlock during the initial and very active fermentation. I pitched at 62 F, placed the primary in an area with 60-62 ambient. At two days I moved the beer to an area of ~67-68 ambient. Fermentation is steady, active and the odor is sulphur for sure. Should I leave this in the 68 area or move back to the 60-62 Or am I not even warm enough?

FYI, this is my 3 batch ever.

I would keep it at the warmer temperature and you'll be fine. The sulfur will get blown off with a little time.

I had that exact problem with a wit I did using that same yeast about four months ago. I kegged it and counter pressured about a twelve pack. I opened one during the last UFC fight and everyone wanted to know who farted. The smell was still very strong.

resurrection!

Currently using this yeast for a witbier too. Slight smell of sulphur coming off this, though nothing overpowering.

I'm aiming to keep this in primary for 6/7 days then rack onto a load of defrosted, mashed fruit.

After 2 days in primary it's eaten its way from 1.042 to 1.030, if it carries on at that rate I think it should be fine to rack onto the fruit, and with only a slight sulphurous odour I'm confident there'll be enough yeast left in suspension and transferred across to clean up any by-products left in the beer at that point... I'm hoping to transfer this weekend so I can brew another wit and rack the new brew directly onto the very active yeast

Back