• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB Corona Mill or Grain Crusher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HossTheGreat

Reaction score
If anyone in the Atlanta area has a corona mill or grain crusher for sale, let me know. I'd be interested in buying one. Thanks!

I got my Corona knock-off from "Discount Tommy" on Ebay. I think it's less than $30 shipped. (Watch his prices for a couple of days. They seem to go up and down almost randomly.) It works great, but requires a little fiddling to get it set up correctly.

Another option is checking the DIY section and making one out of a pasta roller. My wife picked one up for me for something like $15, but I haven't modified it yet. Others have had pretty good success with it.

I also got my corona type mill from discount tommy. Works as well as I would have hoped. Mine was $23 shipped which I figured was a cheap enough solution. It crushes the rather fine and I truely don't get that much husk shredding. Just make sure you have a drill with some torque behind it. My corded drill dosen't likes to smoke a little and get very hot when milling the grain.

Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah, I looked into the pasta roller for a bit. Not sure if I want to mess with it yet or not. In the meantime, I'll keep my eyes on ebay.

For those of you who bought the discount tommy corona mill, what kind of tweaking or adjustments did you need to make to get a good crush?

For those of you who bought the discount tommy corona mill, what kind of tweaking or adjustments did you need to make to get a good crush?

1. I removed the handle and replaced the bolt that comes with the mill with a standard bolt from Home Depot with the head cut off. This way I can use my drill (you need a beefy drill also).

2. I added a larger hopper by cutting the top and bottom off of a round gallon juice jug and placing that into the already existant hopper.

3. I mounted it in a bucket to contain crushed grain and dust.

That's all I had to do to it to get the crush I want. I crush medium to fine and truthfully it dosen't shread to much husk materail. Like I said you do need a strong drill. I use my corded Ryobi drill and it likes to smoke so I crush in spurts letting the drill cool down in between.

1. I removed the handle and replaced the bolt that comes with the mill with a standard bolt from Home Depot with the head cut off. This way I can use my drill (you need a beefy drill also).

2. I added a larger hopper by cutting the top and bottom off of a round gallon juice jug and placing that into the already existant hopper.

3. I mounted it in a bucket to contain crushed grain and dust.

That's all I had to do to it to get the crush I want. I crush medium to fine and truthfully it dosen't shread to much husk materail. Like I said you do need a strong drill. I use my corded Ryobi drill and it likes to smoke so I crush in spurts letting the drill cool down in between.

Sounds good, so you didn't have to mess with it to adjust the fineness of the crush at all?

Great thread containing everything you could possibly need on the subject:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-ugly-junk-corona-mill-station-90849/

Definitely check out that link. It has tons of great info.

I had to file down the surfaces on the "shank" to get the rotating plate to sit perpendicular. This sounds much more complicated than it actually was. In all, it only took about 10 minutes with a hand file. Also, I replaced the cotter pin with a machine screw and added washers to the two attachment screws (see link above). I added a hopper (5" stove pipe) and rigged my mill inside a couple of Homer buckets to control the dust.

With all these mods, my crush is excellent. My efficiency went up over 10% vs. store crush.

Definitely check out that link. It has tons of great info.

I had to file down the surfaces on the "shank" to get the rotating plate to sit perpendicular. This sounds much more complicated than it actually was. In all, it only took about 10 minutes with a hand file. Also, I replaced the cotter pin with a machine screw and added washers to the two attachment screws (see link above). I added a hopper (5" stove pipe) and rigged my mill inside a couple of Homer buckets to control the dust.

With all these mods, my crush is excellent. My efficiency went up over 10% vs. store crush.

Cool. Thanks a ton. I'll check the link out.

Oh, and I picked up the corona mill from discount tommy yesterday. I paid $22 plus $8 to ship. I know some have got it a bit cheaper, but at $30 it was cheap enough for me to try. Looking forward to being able to buy some bulk grains now to save some $$$.

Back