I bought a pound of Cascade, what to brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bartman

Reaction score
Fresh dried hop cones. I love hoppy beers. Should I plan a few IPA's wlth alot of flavor/aroma hops added. I think I would use some other hop pellets for bittering.
Any suggestions?:mug:

I just finished off an Amber with lots and lots of late hop additions - it was bursting with hop flavor but with balanced bitterness and my most popular beer so far. I wish I could afford to do that on a regular basis. So I vote for an IPA, Amber or Pale Ale with lots of late additions and dry hopping.

I really like my pale ale recipe- it's balanced, but with plenty of cascades to keep it hoppy enough for my IPA-loving taste. I used all cascades a couple of times, but I usually use centennial for bittering, and the rest all cascades.

How is this for a nice Ruination Clone...maybe I need even more Cascades?

12.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 85.71 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 7.14 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 7.14 %
2.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 78.4 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (30 min) Hops 11.5 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 7.4 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 3.0 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-SteepHops -
0.50 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Misc
2 Pkgs Safale US-05 Yeast-Ale

I'd not use the carapils- you have enough crystal already in there. I'd probably go with .5 pound of a lighter crystal, though, like 10L, and then .5 pound of 60L.

It looks good to me, but I don't think it would be very Ruination-ish. When I taste Ruination (unfortunately, not very often since it's not distributed here), I get centennial overload, in a good way. I love cascades, though, and think it would be a nice beer.

I'd move some of the cascades (or add more) for later additions- at 10, 5, 0 minutes and dryhopping.

Back