Why bringing beer to your LHBS guy before noon is not a good idea...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
...."Whoops, I gave you 5 ounces of aromatic instead of the 1.5 on your recipe.":drunk::drunk:

He did like my beer, and didn't charge me of some of the malts in the grain bill, and gave me an empty Belgian bottle to see if I want him to order me some for my saison.

So it's not all bad....plus I could walk to it and back by the water. And with any luck he will be moving his shop right across the street from my loft, and opening a bigger one with a combined brew and wine or premises.

Life isn't bad today...:tank:

Did you take it to Cap n Cork? I have thought about taking a couple bottles in there before to get some feedback, but I wasn't sure if this was frowned upon or not....

This one reason I buy my specialty malts, unmilled and bagged separately. I usually buy enough for several batches so I get to weigh out what I need when I need it.

Did you take it to Cap n Cork? I have thought about taking a couple bottles in there before to get some feedback, but I wasn't sure if this was frowned upon or not....

No this wasn't cap n cork, this was the small LHBS here in Port Huron...he has a limited selection, but it's handy.

I have taken bottles to cap n cork in the past...It is definitely NOT frowned upon...in fact I believe that may have, back when there was a hop shortage, been one of the reasons why they would often not enforce their # ounces/recipe rules, they had at the time towards me.

Or when I have walked in and been invited back to the kitchen to sample whatever beers they had in their fridge.

Definitely bring them beers....but make sure the grain bill is filled BEFORE they drink them...

Good idea about separate packages for the other grains ED.

Definitely bring them beers....but make sure the grain bill is filled BEFORE they drink them...

What if you are the fifth customer of the morning to bring them samples? I guess you have to be waiting at the door when they open. Of course with one of my LHBS, the guy looks like he is in the tank from the get go. Don't trust them much for any recipes or weighing/crushing.... just buy bulk now from another source.

This one reason I buy my specialty malts, unmilled and bagged separately. I usually buy enough for several batches so I get to weigh out what I need when I need it.

+1, this should be SOP. I buy things like Special B, Aromatic, Caravienne, Caramunich, Biscuit and Chocolate 5# at a time. It may take me a while to go through them, but I know that I always have some in stock when I need them.

No this wasn't cap n cork, this was the small LHBS here in Port Huron...he has a limited selection, but it's handy.

I have taken bottles to cap n cork in the past...It is definitely NOT frowned upon...in fact I believe that may have, back when there was a hop shortage, been one of the reasons why they would often not enforce their # ounces/recipe rules, they had at the time towards me.

Or when I have walked in and been invited back to the kitchen to sample whatever beers they had in their fridge.

Good idea about separate packages for the other grains ED.

Sounds like you had a great trip Rev.

On another note, thanks for the tip on bringing homebrew up to cap n cork, I've gotten my ingredients there a couple of times and the staff is always great. They're always up for helping out and shooting the bull.

Curt

Was it Eastern Shores? I use them sometimes but I always call ahead. He's a nice enough guy, I didn't know that a bottle of beer would open some many doors.

I feel like it's a part of the brewing etiquette - I always bring a bottle along when I'm buying ingredients for the next batch (gentle plug for quality LHBS: BYOB in Havertown, PA). It's kind of amazing how you can drink a couple of bottles at 9:00 PM and not feel a thing, but drink a couple ounces at 11:00 AM and feel a mild buzz.

Was it Eastern Shores? I use them sometimes but I always call ahead. He's a nice enough guy, I didn't know that a bottle of beer would open some many doors.

Yep It was Todd's shop. He doesn't have a lot, but for most "normal" recipes he has had everything I have ever needed...I know though for my special recipes to hit Cap N Cork on my way home from work.

But I try to throw most of my money "locally" to hiim.

But most of the time, for "spontanaeous" brewing like if I have awwekday off, I usually just walk down and pick up a few things.

I'm excited that he may be moving up to mainstreet in the "Majestic Block" possibly next to Irish Rose. Which means that he will be right across the street from my loft.

We've been talking about doing "teach you neighbor to brew day" or the AHA "Big Brew day" here in town, but since the parking lot he is adjacent to in his current spot is city owned, they wouldn't let him do it. So if he moves there should be no problem.

I've also talked about helping in his shop, especially if he gets the winery/brew on premises up and running. I know on saturdays in the winter one of his kids has hockey, so he doesn't have consistant hours on Saturday mornings (when people are more apt to want to get stuff to brew) so I have offered to possibly cover for him for a couple hours in trade for grain and stuff...He hasn't taken me up on it yet, but maybe if he moves across the street, he may.

So Rubberband, are you here in town?

Back