Backpacking water filter for brew water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talloak

Reaction score
I own a Katadyn Vario EU:
Products - Katadyn Products Inc.

I want to use it to filter water for brewing. My tap water at my house has a distinct sulfurous aroma and the flavor is a bit like meat. Go figure. Would this backpacking water filter I own do a sufficient job? When I use it while backpacking, it comes out tasting wonderful, but I think that is because I usually filter out of crystal clear mountain streams, not nasty standing water. They are designed, primarily, to eliminate Giardia, a protozoa that gives you the runs.

I guess I should have mentioned I am brewing right now and in a bit of a pinch. I am short a few gallons of water. I am using my Pur water filter (in the pitcher model) and it is slow going.

So would it work?

It would definitely work, but I think you're being a little too careful here. A few gallons of unfiltered water isn't going to make or break your beer!

In the future, get yourself an rv/camper filter for your hose (oh, and get one of those drinking-water-safe coiling hoses from Lowes).

Maybe I am being too careful. This isn't a pilsner. It's a Strong scotch ale. OG of 1.081. About 75% of the water I will be using won't taste like crap, 25% will. Maybe it will be fine.

I would just hate to have an off flavor in a beer with this much invested. I spent the $6 for a smack pack for this one, usually I use dry yeast.

I bought a under the sink filter system couple of years back and it works great for off-flavors. Simple charcoal filter. I think it costs $12 to replace the cartridge once or twice a year.

+1 for the under sink filter.

They run about $30. Filters are $10-$20, depending on your water and your tastes. And, they work great. I change mine every six months and my kitchen sink has great drinking/brewing water.

Go buy a cheap undersink filter or wholehouse unit. However you could use the hiking pump, but would still be pretty slow going. I have an MSR sweetwater, and would hate to try and pump 5 gallons through it.

I'll keep the under the sink unit in mind. This was a spur of the moment thing. I ended up just mixing my crap tap water with non crap water. I'm sure it will be fine.

I rent and might be moving across the country soon. So I won't be installing an under the sink deal at this location.

I'll keep the under the sink unit in mind. This was a spur of the moment thing. I ended up just mixing my crap tap water with non crap water. I'm sure it will be fine.

I rent and might be moving across the country soon. So I won't be installing an under the sink deal at this location.

Bah you do not need to install it, some guys here have rigged up a L shaped spout and just hang it off the side of their kettles. I just tacked mine to the wall in my brewery.

Back