First Timer from NJ with big plans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BryanZ

Reaction score
Hi my name is Bryan, I just finished brewing my first batch today. I think I did everything I was supposed to, and am very excited to taste the result. I'm only 25, but have an avid beer drinker for about 10 years. I love trying new beers, and visiting some fantastic pubs in Philadelphia that would take me 100 trips to try every beer.

I am more of a business man than a brewer. I work for AT&T and my sister is an engineer for Lockheed Martin. Both of us have been pondering the idea of leaving our big corporate careers and starting a brewery as a profession.

Anyhow, I am here to learn more about my new fascinating hobby, hopefully I can turn it into a business. With my sister as a partner we shouldn't have any problem finding the capital to start the business, which I assume is what prevents 99.99% of brewers from going big.

My sister is associates with a brewer that grew up in our town. He own Yards brewery in PA. He likes to share information with her about the business, I'm hoping he can be a valuable ally.

Before I even consider this business, I must know all about the beer. I've been reading this sight all day, and it's a lot to absorb.

If anybody could recommend some good literature I can purchase that would be wonderful. I would much rather read a book then a webpage.

Papazian books are great starters, the Dave Miller Homebrewing Guide is a great starter also, after that, maybe Ray Daniels Designing Great Beers, then you'll be off on your own. Check out Randy Mosher's Books. Good luck! ....I like your style dude....

Bobby_M said:
Welcome, where exactly in NJ are you? One thing you can do is join a homebrew club and there's a fine one up in Woodbridge. Let me know if you want to hear more.

Haddonfield NJ, it is about 5 miles away from Philadelphia

I am a ways away from having an intelligent conversation with experienced home brewers. After I read a few books and brew a few, I would love to join one.

I found this amazing place in Freehold NJ called the Brewers Apprentice. http://www.brewapp.com/

Unfortunatly it is an hour away. I can find lots of equipment, knowledge, and ingredients there.

eschatz said:
Papazian books are great starters, the Dave Miller Homebrewing Guide is a great starter also, after that, maybe Ray Daniels Designing Great Beers, then you'll be off on your own. Check out Randy Mosher's Books. Good luck! ....I like your style dude....

I'll check them all out, thank you for the advice

Bobby_M said:
Welcome, where exactly in NJ are you? One thing you can do is join a homebrew club and there's a fine one up in Woodbridge. Let me know if you want to hear more.

Actually, I know I only have a couple posts and you have no idea who I am. Maybe sometime me and my sister could come assist you brew a batch in exchange for your knowledge. We would do all the work. I doubt there are too many senior members of this site that live as close as you.

We both have corporate e-mail addresses that we could respond to if that would make you more comfortable that we are not some street thugs coming to rob you haha.

CD2448 lives in Haddonfield too. I met him a few months ago for a big brewout.

I'm an hour from Brewer's Apprentice too but online shops are more competitive.

Send me a PM, we'll talk about getting together for a brew.

BryanZ said:
I doubt there are too many senior members of this site that live as close as you.

Just FYI- I believe that the junior/senior rating has to do with the number of posts, not experience- I'm a senior member, and have been at this less than half a year.
You are totally right, though. Bobby_M knows Tons about all of this- and is great to learn from.
There is also another LHBS some place down there- I'll let the other south/central jersey people tell you about it- I can't even remember what its called.
Welcome to HBT!

The other LHBS that I know about is in Turnersville and is called Beercrafters. I know they also participate and/or run a homebrew club from there as well. I've been interested in checking it out, but it's almost an hour drive for me (and can be more depending on traffic) from Medford.

Hi Bryan, as Bobby_M said, I live in Haddonfield, I'll respond to your PM later when I have a bit more time.

The LHBS where I got my set up was Home Sweet Homebrew in Philadelphia. Parking is a ***** but the people are great - the store has been there 20+ years which in this, as in most other businesses, tells you something.

I get that "Senior Member" status too from my post count rather than any seniority in knowledge - I've only been doing this since October but I've come a long way in a short time - I'm planning to go to AG brewing in the next month, and I've done about 10 batches so far - except for the first one, they've been good to very good.

I won't be able to help you much on making a business out of it (except probably as a customer!) and I don't have years of experience, but I've been exactly where you are now in recent memory and can certainly help you avoid some of my mistakes. I went up to Bobby's in November and it inspired me to see some of the ingenious setups people had for brewing and of course the quality of the product. I think he plans to do this again in early April and it's good to know we might have a car full of Haddonfield brewers in attendance!

Back