Best value Grain Mills

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Demus

Reaction score
I need some opinions from all you grain grinders out there. It seems like the pre-crushed option has been creeping up lately plus I'd like to take advantage of the 50 pound sack savings on 2-row. Grain mill prices are all over the map. I'd hate to spend $300 on a beautiful stainless steel contraption that doesn't do any better than a $30 bench mill from Amazon. I'd also hate to waste the $30 on something that's going to end up in the trash can because it doesn't do the job. What do you think are the best bang-for-the-buck mills out there and why?

Opinions are all over the map - but I love my ugly junk corona mill. So one vote for the cheapo mill here. Let the debate begin!:D

Cheers!

Being in FL, you might want stainless rollers, depending on where (and how) you plan to store the mill...

I really love my Monster Mill MM2-2.0 with the hardened rollers, hopper and hopper extension. Being able to load it up with up to 39# of grain at a time is just epic. The stainless roller option is of material about the same harness as their standard rollers. So it won't wear any better than that (just more rust resilient). IMO, with proper storage, even in FL, you can get away without stainless rollers.

I looked at the ugly mills and, for me, it would have been more work to get it into an actual usable state for milling grain. Then there's the grain that can get flung out of it while in use. Plus the small hoppers you see (the metal ones) that means I'd be constantly filling it for each batch. I really didn't want to MM something together to try and do the job that another mill does right out of the box.

Basically, you have to decide what's most important to you. Going cheap, going with something that will probably last a while, or something that you'll never need to replace. I actually expect my MM2-2.0 to be milling grain long after I'm taking a dirt nap. :D The fact that it comes ready to use from the manufacturer (minimal assembly required) was of huge benefit to me. BTW, I did have a Barley Crusher for a bit. With the small diameter rollers, it can't even start to compete with the MM2-2.0 mill.

There are a LOT of threads/posts about the different mill options. Almost everyone raves about what they have, or have currently.

Monster p0rn:
mounted_mm2-20_mill-57375.jpg

MM2-2_0_business_end.jpg

Is that blood on the left side of that picture? Testing the gap with your fingers again?

Not mine... Guess I missed a spot from the last yakass that made some smarky comment about my mill. :D

The thing really is a monster... I swear I can hear it taunting me at times when I've put less than 20# of grain in the hopper... :eek: :D

That monster mill is sweet indeed. I pretty much do 5 to 6 gallon batches so it might be a bit of overkill. Plus I'm down to brewing about once per month (if I'm lucky) so it would take some time to cover the investment. Anyone know of a happy medium between 20 pounds at a time and the cheapy Corona mill? How many pounds fit into that thing anyway? My grain bills are usually in the 12 to 18 pound range, so 4 or 5 at a time wouldn't be that bad....

Opinions are all over the map - but I love my ugly junk corona mill. So one vote for the cheapo mill here. Let the debate begin!:D

Cheers!

How many pounds can you fit in it at a time? The crush has been pretty good? How many batches have you done with it?

That monster mill is sweet indeed. I pretty much do 5 to 6 gallon batches so it might be a bit of overkill. Plus I'm down to brewing about once per month (if I'm lucky) so it would take some time to cover the investment. Anyone know of a happy medium between 20 pounds at a time and the cheapy Corona mill? How many pounds fit into that thing anyway? My grain bills are usually in the 12 to 18 pound range, so 4 or 5 at a time wouldn't be that bad....

I get 6 gallons out of fermenter from each normal size batch. I've done a 10 gallon batch with that mill too (and my keggles). Being able to put more grain in the hopper means I can mill for a BIG brew without refilling. With the Monster Mill, you can get the normal size hopper (or make one yourself if you want) and then add the extension later. :D I just figured might as well get the entire setup from the start, since I knew I'd want the higher capacity.

Pretty sure the regular hopper (for the Monster Mill) holds 11# of grain at a time. So you could mill what you can fit initially, then top off once there's room. Just one time, instead of several.

BTW, hearing a Monster Mill in action is both exciting and a little disturbing the first time. :eek: Especially the ones with 2" diameter rollers. :D

What did it run you?

I bought direct from Monster... Not sure why, but I'm pretty sure it was less than what they have it for now. I'd have to try and dig up the invoice. I know Fred (the man from Monster) was very helpful when I had questions about it. I had an issue with one side not holding the adjustment, so he sent me a replacement along with the hex head set screws I requested. Since then it's been rock solid/steady (no additional adjustments needed or made). Every few batches I check the gap with my feeler gauges, but it's always been dead on. :D

I had an issue with one side not holding the adjustment, so he sent me a replacement along with the hex head set screws I requested. Since then it's been rock solid/steady (no additional adjustments needed or made). :D

As well said earlier, opinions are all over the map on this topic. IMO any mill irregardless of price, may take a little mechanical aptitude and tuning to run and stay in good working order. I am very happy w/ the crush I get from my cheap corona mill, not for everyone I guess, but I'm not sold on what a "better" more costly mill would do for the benefit of my brew? Good luck in your decision and a happy and healthy new year!

Anyone know of a happy medium between 20 pounds at a time and the cheapy Corona mill? ....

Outfitted w/ a large hopper, a cheapy Corona mill can easily do 20 lbs at a time. Lots of folks build larger hoppers for the Corona mill...search the "Ugly Junk" thread and/or the Corona link below if you are interested...cheers!

As well said earlier, opinions are all over the map on this topic. IMO any mill irregardless of price, may take a little mechanical aptitude and tuning to run and stay in good working order. I am very happy w/ the crush I get from my cheap corona mill, not for everyone I guess, but I'm not sold on what a "better" more costly mill would do for the benefit of my brew? Good luck in your decision and a happy and healthy new year!

I just like how the drop through crusher type (roller mills) works compared with the vertical plate crusher (like the corona mill)... Plus, I don't have grain getting flung out from my mill (saw more than a few posts about that when I was looking for my first mill) as it's running. No additional hardware needed in order to get the gap where I need too. Unlike the corona mill.

If you want to go cheap, can handle the frustration of needing to make more than a few alterations to the base unit yourself, with pretty much zero support from the manufacturer, sure it's a good option. :drunk:

Personally (and this is IMO/IME) it's hard to go wrong with a proper barley mill/crusher. I fully expect my MM2-2.0 to be milling grain long after I'm dead and gone.

IF you can handle the sticker price, I'd go with a Monster. I would even email/call up Fred to ask questions about the models to get the one that will do best for you. I could be running more than a few thousand pounds of grain (per year) through mine soon (fingers crossed). While I know there are larger (commercial grade) mills out there, I know my MM2-2.0 will at least be good to get the ball rolling. I can't see a corona mill being able to do even a fraction of that before being ripped from it's mount and tossed aside. If not due to issues with the mill itself, then with how much longer it will take to crush the grain.

The best value mill. That's a question that's subjective. Depends on your values.

I had a corona knockoff , and still do. It gave me reasonable crushes after I got accustomed to it and I made some award winning beers from it. One thing that was constant was the astringency issues I always had on my score sheets. I changed mills and the issue went away. Here is my mill.
http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a357/nflder/?action=view&current=hops006.jpg

I now have a motorized Barley Crusher and I find it excellent for the small batches I do. This is the mill I now use.
http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a357/nflder/?action=view&current=DSCF1082.jpg
http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a357/nflder/?action=view&current=DSCF1084.jpg

Since I started using this mill, my crushes have been better, my efficiency has slightly improved, and the astringency issues in my beer have disappeared from the judges comments.
This to me is worth the change in mills.

My advise is to buy the best mill you can afford, and if you can to buy a roller mill.
I made some good beer with the Corona, but make better beer with the barley Crusher.

And of course this is all my opinion. YMMV

I purchased a Barley Crusher for around $120. I'm very happy with this mill. My efficiency has increased 6-8% due to it's quality crush. Connected to a drill (500rpm's), I crush 20+ pounds in just a few minutes.

Demus - I'm also a small batch brewer. The Corona mill makes more sen$e but a roller mill would be very nice.

I purchased a Barley Crusher for around $120. I'm very happy with this mill. My efficiency has increased 6-8% due to it's quality crush. Connected to a drill (500rpm's), I crush 20+ pounds in just a few minutes.

How do you know how fast the drill is turning?

Boo's advice to get the best you can buy is universal.:rockin:

I have never regretted spending more for a good tool. Midwestsupplies.com has a good page for comparing the options. Search there for "grain mills"

Talkin' only about small batches, the main reason for a $100+ crusher over a $30 Corona mill is to preserve whole husks as a filter bed for sparging. In BIAB,the bag is the filter so it does not matter if the husks are chopped. I'm not arguing if traditional or BIAB is better - whatever floats your boat.

Boo, this is the first I've read of astringency from a cutting rather than crushing mill. Reality always trumps theory so if you experienced this it is a very good reason for you to get a crusher.

I had a corona knockoff , and still do. It gave me reasonable crushes after I got accustomed to it and I made some award winning beers from it. One thing that was constant was the astringency issues I always had on my score sheets. I changed mills and the issue went away.

Since I started using this mill, my crushes have been better, my efficiency has slightly improved, and the astringency issues in my beer have disappeared from the judges comments.
This to me is worth the change in mills.

My advise is to buy the best mill you can afford, and if you can to buy a roller mill.
I made some good beer with the Corona, but make better beer with the barley Crusher.

Boo, this is the first I've read of astringency from a cutting rather than crushing mill. Reality always trumps theory so if you experienced this it is a very good reason for you to get a crusher.

The reason for it, I was told, is that the excessive shredding of the husk by a corona mill produces more tannins.

In any case that is the only variable I changed, and my problem disappeared, so I have to say for me it was the mill.

I get 6 gallons out of fermenter from each normal size batch. I've done a 10 gallon batch with that mill too (and my keggles). Being able to put more grain in the hopper means I can mill for a BIG brew without refilling. With the Monster Mill, you can get the normal size hopper (or make one yourself if you want) and then add the extension later. :D I just figured might as well get the entire setup from the start, since I knew I'd want the higher capacity.

Pretty sure the regular hopper (for the Monster Mill) holds 11# of grain at a time. So you could mill what you can fit initially, then top off once there's room. Just one time, instead of several.

BTW, hearing a Monster Mill in action is both exciting and a little disturbing the first time. :eek: Especially the ones with 2" diameter rollers. :D

Another vote for the Monster Mill, Hello Golddiggie, I have the regular hopper and I can fit 13# of grain in it, its almost over flowing at that much.

Your right about hearing the Monster with the 2" rollers for the first time :D and every time after too.

I still get excited when I pull the Monster off the shelf, there's just something about it. Muhahahahahahaha !

IMO worth every penny, and Im sure it will be milling long after I'm gone.

Cheers :mug:

Corona style mills seem to be hit or miss. From general conversation, seems more people are satisfied than not. I get 80% efficiency with mine and no apparent astringency.

If you are using a corona, you really must condition the grain before processing. My crush looks at least as good as I've seen from various brew supply stores: large, mostly unshredded husks and essentially no whole kernels left. I have no plans to replace mine, works great.

Another vote for the Monster Mill, Hello Golddiggie, I have the regular hopper and I can fit 13# of grain in it, its almost over flowing at that much.

Your right about hearing the Monster with the 2" rollers for the first time :D and every time after too.

I still get excited when I pull the Monster off the shelf, there's just something about it. Muhahahahahahaha !

IMO worth every penny, and Im sure it will be milling long after I'm gone.

Cheers :mug:

I like how mine is now mounted, to the microwave cart I no longer needed for a microwave. :D No more worrying about it being top heavy, with a hopper full (or almost full) of grain. :D

I've been hearing my Monster taunting me lately... Need to run some grain through it within the next few days to placate it. :D

jasonsbeer, not everything has the time to condition their malt before crushing it. With a two (or three) roller mill it's far less important than with the corona mill. If that's what I had to do to get good crush, every time, I'd soon be looking to get something to eliminate that need.

Another Vote for the Barley Crusher here. You can pick one up, complete for about $120. I got mine at my LHBS and I couldn't be happier. As far as the value goes, it seems to be in the middle of the Monster Mill on the top end and the carona mills on the low end. If you are doing 5-6 gallon batches, I would think the Barley Crusher would be just what you need. Attach a drill and you can get through 11 pounds of grain in a couple of minutes.

I just did my first Partial Mash yesterday and used this mill. Got it a a local store for under $40. It's not quite what Golddiggie but its a start.

I didn't get a great efficiency but it wasn't an issue with the crush but rather water temp. I set it to about the depth of a credit card. It took about 15 minutes to crush 9 lbs of grain.

http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Quality-Grinder-Wheat-Grains/dp/B000U5NZ4I

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 25$ corona mill. Getting 80% efficiency without grinding to flour. I use a drill to make things a little faster. I can't see ever switching.

I just ordered the Barley Crusher last week and anxiously awaiting delivery. The Monster Mill would have been awesome, but I couldn't justify the cost right now.

If I had read this thread before placing my order, I might have had second thoughts. However, I have so much money going into equipment (new brewer), that I already feel bad for the amount I am spending.

I took the savings and bought a yeast stirstarter plate. I need to improve my efficiency and pitching rates if I am ever going to get better brews going.

If you can afford it, the MM sounds like a great piece of equipment.

I just ordered the Barley Crusher last week and anxiously awaiting delivery. The Monster Mill would have been awesome, but I couldn't justify the cost right now.

If I had read this thread before placing my order, I might have had second thoughts. However, I have so much money going into equipment (new brewer), that I already feel bad for the amount I am spending.

I took the savings and bought a yeast stirstarter plate. I need to improve my efficiency and pitching rates if I am ever going to get better brews going.

If you can afford it, the MM sounds like a great piece of equipment.

Hey thanks for the info. And thanks to all the replies. I just brewed an 18 pound all grain batch today and don't think I'd have been happy chewing through that with a Corona mill. Middle of the road seems more my comfort level balancing price with performance.

As a side note to your comments, greater efficiency won't necessarily get you a better brew, you'll just use less grain. That said, if your efficiency issue has to do with your water chemistry, that certainly could effect your brew. Pitch rate helps as long as you have proper aeration and control the fermentation temperature. If you're trying to improve your beer, that's where to focus....

Brew on my friend, and thanks again...

Since I haven't spotted it in a response yet: I use a Schmidling Maltmill, preadjusted. I still reach 85% efficiency with it, and can drain quickly for batch sparging.

If I were to do it again, I'd spend the extra money on a proper adjustable one, such as a Monster Mill. But, I don't see the point in upgrading right now since what I have works and works well. People seem to upgrade from their Schmlidings for the bling factor or because tighter milling improves their efficiency; you might be able to profit off their discounted sale and adapt.

Following some mods outlined on here I was crushing with a pasta roller. I have since been upgraded to a Barley Crusher and, though I've only run 1 pound through it thus far, will openly say the pasta roller is not the way to go. It could just be the 'knurling' on the rollers but the feed was painfully slow. Also, the rollers tend to pop out of adjustment or jam if adjusted tight enough to crush all the grains. I had to run the grain through twice- once loose and once tighter. Kyle

I have a corona mill. After modifying it to my standards (making the grinding surfaces parallel) it work great. Never a stuck sparge and always hit my efficiency numbers. Depends on your budget and brewing amount.

Back